I Forge Iron

Question On Fire Pot Material

Trip

Got a Question...... Thats nothin new is it?? LOL

OK So I went to the metal yard today looking for some metal for a firepot and side draft forge hood. After looking for several hours I found a piece of 1/2 sheet big enough for 2 fire pots. After getting home I found that is it Stainless Steel!!!!

So my question is this. Will 1/2" SS hold up as good or better than 1/2" mild steel???

Thanks,
Trip

Well it sounds like I got some good material for my fire pot, and for a good price, since I paid $0.30 a pound for it!!!

I was going weld up the fire pot today, but my welder ran for about 2 minutes, and then went on the fritz.... :( bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

John, a sink will certainly work if it's not too deep. Otherwise you'll need to build up the bottom a bit so you can get your metal into the middle of the coals.

Saw an old article in Popular Mechanics, I believe, where they demonstrated building a very nice forge from a sink that had a drain area off one side. Lined with fire cement/sand/etc to concentrate the coals and bring them up a bit.

If you use a sink, I would recommend building the bottom up with fire brick, until the you have a new bottom of 4", and also, I would line the sides with firebrick. it will make it heavy, but it wont burn out ANY time soon. And if you decide t line it with firebrick, you will need to buy some fire clay and mix it in the mortar.