I Forge Iron

Steel Toe Boot Replacements for Wide Feet Needed-what's everyone buying?

used the search function and found some older threads (year or two) about preferred boots, and since I am in the market now, was hoping to update. Seemed like a lot of Redwings, Wolverine, and even Danner boots were mentioned. As I have a wide foot (EEEE), I was wondering what other people are wearing? Staying with Redwings?

I have a pair of Redwings that are ok, but have never been real comfortable...after having them repaired a number of times, I've decided to splurge on a new pair-am not wedded to Redwings, so, suggestions?

I have a pair of Red Wings that went flat because they are an air sole

11.5 4E here.

I am now wearing Work 1 boots, but the insole was stitched and glued in, and slid around when I sweat causing a lot of problems. I spent a day removing the insole with a scraper and put in Dr. Scholls. The shape of the boot is spacious in the toe. I do not plan on repurchasing, but now that they have good insoles they are nice boots.

I am planning on sending my red wings out for re-sole but it costs almost the same as a new pair of boots!

Phil

i am in the same boat here 13eeee or 14eee depending on the boots as well dew to a 120foot long home made slip in slide made back in high school i busted my big toe so its a bit of a renegade now (so i tend to have to stretch my left boot a bit for a good fit) for the most part i have just been using regular work boots and cussing when a cow steps on my foot and keeping my fingers crossed about large hard and heavy items not pinching my piggies
so dont mind me i will be lurking on this thread

Thanks Phil. Same size here and have been wondering what other folks do. Besides having wide foot,I'm diabetic and can't have ANY pinching or rubbing on my feet or I'm crippled. I'll try the Work 1 and see if a shoe repair friend of mine can work on the insole...

I have wide feet also, I wear Redwing steel toe that is a short boot. I get the best insoles they have in the boot store, they heat up in the microwave then you put it in the boot and they form to your feet. The insoles are not cheap and need to be replaced about every 4- 5 months but they sure are nice.
This is the one I use http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2245-red-wing-shoes/2245-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown
I work mostly inside if i were out in the dirt all day I would go with a higher boot and a Vibrum sole

I have a pair of Keen steel toe boots that are awesome. They actually make different toe boxes for left and right and have a good high arch design. These are the first boots I have ever ( read 25yrs) had that don't rub anywhere. I don't know about the width availability but for those who like good arch support these boots are great.

Daniel

Look into Belleville boots. They are made in the USA, and are one of the current military suppliers. They offer steel toes, speed laces, Vibram soles, GoreTex lined, and wide widths. I have a short wide foot with a high instep . I end up getting 9's a lot of times because I can't find shoes in 8.5 wide. If you live near a military base like I do you can find them in the thrift stores in great shape. I pick them up for $10-$20 a pair.

For a website try Zappos.com they are in Las Vegas and offer free shipping both ways. You can order, say 5 pairs of boots, try them on, keep the ones you like, and ship the others back for free. No strings, or laces, attached to that deal.

When buying safety toe shoes, if you have wide feet, or work outside where it gets cold the Composite toe shoes are very nice. The toe box is taller and wider to meet the inpact test. The composite does not conduct the cold either.
My current boots are a meta-tarsel guarded "Worx by Redwing" and I paind about $130 for them in 10.5 EEEE.
Keen makes a very nice boot I hear.

If you weld a lot, or get forge scale on you boots the external meta-tarsel guards are nice, and protect you from hot stuff getting in the tongue of the shoe. But if you climb ladders alot, go with the internal guards as the externals like to catch and trip you on ladders.

NONE of the newer style shoes are life time shoes per the makers. I have set up corporate safety shoes buys for several factories, and in discussion with factory reps from all the major brands it was revealed that the insole materials that tend to make for comfort break down, and in a year of everyday wear the insole pads collaspe and make the shoe fit poorly and be uncomfortable. So shoes with really good, replacable insloes tend to be longer lived.

I have flippers too, used to be 8.5EEE and now are something like 9.5EEEEs but are odd shaped, short and wide, flippers. I found steel toes tended to wear right through the toes and ground me well when I was fabbing and doing a LOT of welding being grounded through your feet is not so good.

What I've been wearing in the shop for some time are White's, Logger Smoke Jumpers. Nothing fits your foot like White's because they're custom made for your feet. I had phenolic toes put in one pair, composites now I guess, they don't wear the toes off and don't ground you but they're tough as all get out. Even if you manage to crush phenolic toes to the ground they don't stay down, they reform as soon as the weight's off so they can't trap you.

A word of warning though, breaking White's in can be a painful experience but if you soak them in water till they're soft and wear them dry it's a one shot go to break them in. Sure, it'll stain your socks and feet orange but they'll fit perfectly, no tight spots, binds or rubs, blisters, etc. and you don't lace them tight, just snug, you can't move your foot in them at all. It's like they're painted on. Yeah, I LOVE my White's and my old pair is more than 25 and been rebuilt once. Expensive? Oh yes but worth it, you betcha.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am the complete opp. I wear a 6.5 and can never find anyone that has them. I still am a redwing and danner guy after hours on my feet they have proven to be the most comfortable. But are the upper end in price. My bigfooted friends go with the keen boots. A lot of gov. Jobs here are going with keens as there boot of chose.

I have a pair of redwings that I like, but might try keens when they eventually wear out. I didn't know they made a steel toe boot, but my hiking boots from them are probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned.

Regardless of what shoe I'm wearing, I use WalkFit insoles and they make a tremendous difference. They aren't squishy "comfort" insoles, but rigid arch supports. They're only $20, and come with low, medium, and high inserts to fit different size arches. Target carries them now so you don't have to pay shipping. They take a couple weeks to get used to (you have to wear them only for an hour or so at a time at first because your arch will get sore), but once your feet get use to them you'll never be without them.

I'm with Frosty here. I have 3 pair of Whites boots. According to them I have a 9 1/2 F. I also wear meta-tarsal boots. I have had these boots for 8 years had them resoled once and I where them every day when I am working. Before I use to wear Georgia and Iron Age meta-tarsal boots. Best wear I could get out of them was 2 years and they could not be resoled.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If we're going to spend over $200 for a pair of boots purely for protection, this may sound completely insane... but why not just make some sabatons with some easily detachable velcro straps and wear them over whatever footwear you happen to have? There's a pretty simple layout here: http://www.bladeturner.com/pattern/gothic_sabatons/gothic_sabatons.html

I mean heck, it's not like we can't... :lol:

• 2 years later...