I Forge Iron

Mokume ring

Jeddly

Hi guys and gals, thought I would share a piece I made for my daughter.

I did up a stack of quarters the other day, and made a ring. After cubing the fused quarters, I drawed them out, did a twist, and re-flattened the bar.

After this, I slit the bar and drifted to fit her little finger.

post-12358-0-17292600-1331926739_thumb.j

post-12358-0-45199200-1331926747_thumb.j

Ask and ye shall recieve. I asked if she wanted me to smooth out all of the little hammer marks, but she declined, and said she likes them. She did however help with a little sanding and re-fitting. The ring was a little tight in this pic, so I adjusted it a little. Now its perfect. :)

post-12358-0-79530200-1331971104_thumb.j

I put the stack (4$) betwixt two pieces of 1/2" plate, and caged it in with some 1/8" strap. Once I saw them sweating, I pulled em out and tapped on the plate. After tapping, the strap bowed out a little. I knew they fused because the strap bowed out. Then it was a matter of getting the coins out of the cage and drawing out, twisting, etc.

It was pretty easy actually. I'm assuming you have suitable coins across the pond?

On a second note, I tried the sheet method, and it fused as well. But after marring, and trying to draw it out, the ends seem to have started to delaminate.

Beth,

When I was over there a couple of years ago, I kept a collection of coins for a project like this so this is from memory. You should be able to do a really nice coin mokume out of them. I did find that the newer 1 pence coin has a ferrous core clad with copper. You can easily determine which ones with a magnet. If I remember from the reading I did at the time, England doesn't have the cladding like US quarters so you will probably have to mix different value coins to get the banding. You have a wider choice though. I have a few Canadian dollars coins that I am going use in the stack also as it is a yellow bronze(?) alloy. I did the prep work but have not finished it. If you try this, please let us know how it goes and if I get to it first, I will do the same.

Brian Pierson