I Forge Iron

Safety Glasses for Historical Reenactors

hey Thomas he might have been a really good smith <- :-P
In my op you are not going for period correct as much as in the spirit of and or not looking jarringly out of place but as always use what meets with your own safety standards and don't compromise on that
other than that dress them up anyway you want
the ones i am using now are a modern black framed set that i have on in my profile photo i like them and trust them and they are not that disruptive to the spirit of events as having a pair of wrap around set of clear plastic glasses would be
and all you have to say is sorry but safety first is anyone gives you a hard time
over all i think some people are getting hung up on what they would have warn at the time and need to take a step back and see this more as trying to play along with letting people have more of a feel for the time while not compromising there own safety

Some high authenticity places would prefer you to use modern safety glasses than to possibly mislead people that some sort of variation on them was actually available at the time in question.

My reply when questioned about my glasses is: The Medieval version of safety glasses was an eyepatch or a boy to lead you around after you lost both eyes!