I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Laws

Exactly.........

I work for the historical society and what I do there is under close observation and scrutiny by visitors. I get asked questions; "Would a blacksmith have used a vise, a file and a hack-saw?

We are Civil War era, or so abouts. There, it must appear as such as best as is practical.

I do tell folks that I will make something for them at home where I can weld the project and use pneumatic tools. Then they don't have a problem with it, generally speaking.

The file is mentioned very early in history. I want to say in the old testament, but cannot quickly check my citation.
(Google brings up Samuel 13:21) but my NIV translation does not use the word file. Archaeology shows bronze age and early iron age rasps and files (wiki citation)

In the late 1850's machine file making was developed. (I know, my patent is later than that.)

http://www.google.com/patents?id=DwhxAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA39&dq=file&hl=en&sa=X&ei=aBVdT4jCOMfn0QHSzKzlDw&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=file&f=false
Patent number: 390075
Filing date: Mar 21, 1887
Issue date: Sep 25, 1888

It is very safe to assume that files were made by hand long before a machine was designed to make them.

saw filing
Patent number: 1039602
Filing date: Apr 12, 1813
Issue date: Sep 24, 1912

http://www.netris.or...making-H-M.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_(tool)

Don't make apologies for using "modern" tools. The saw is as old as the file. Twist drills are a few centuries more modern, but they are not new by any stretch of the imagination.

Mastermyr lists files and saws, but no twist drill (there are other drills however). This is from about 1000AD.
http://netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/ImageLib.html

Phil

Good information there, Phil.

What about the blacksmith post vise? Not quite sure why one would debate that, but I'd have to guess they have been 'round since 1800 or so.

Any law against that in a recreation of a Civil War era blacksmith shop?

post-21170-0-25290100-1331502876_thumb.j

Frank Turley and David Einhorn would be best to field that one. David's book "Civil War Blacksmithing" lists a vice according to Army Ordinance manuals c.1860, and Frank is very well versed on the history of leg vises, and can likely cite the earliest one he has owned, or knows of.

On AnvilFire's vise page (Anvilfire.com => FAQ => V =>blacksmith vises) a catalog from 1894 is cited.

Remember also that the screw, the heart of a vise, was described by Archimedes, 3rd century BC.

Phil

Google image search turns up a picture of a medieval post vise in the gallery of this place called: wait for it -------- iforgeiron. And so the circle is complete.

I know that there are many wood cuts showing many tools in Diderot and others from the 1500's to mid 1800's. Post vises are common in Europe by 1700, in American frontier outposts, I don't know.

Fitting?
Welding?
Machining?
Numeracy?
Technical Drawing?

I'm no machinist, but I know I'd be stuffed if I wasn't able to weld or work things out on paper. Or count. Or be able to fit.
Knowing how to tap a hole has saved the day on many occasions.
I couldn't be a blacksmith if I couldn't drive.
Being able to braze doesn't hurt.
Or braze-weld.
Fire welding is a must.
A little masonry can't hurt either.
etc.
etc.
etc.