I Forge Iron

The Birth Of A Tool (Chisel Making), Documentary movie

• 2 weeks later...

Best videos I've ever seen. Like Caleb mentioned, you can see a stark difference between these videos and the ones online that are done as "instructional" videos. The Neeman vids are clean and well done, and any blacksmith watching can tell what's happening without a narrative getting in the way. A potential customer might not understand what the smith is doing, but they don't need to. All they need is to be impressed with the video and audio, creating a universe in their mind that they want to be a part of.

Whoever is doing the production on this videos is very good at what they do. The cuts are in just the right places and the soundtrack is very complimentary.

The only "negative" I can think of, and it's truly a pittance, is that somebody needs to support their anvil better. The wobble you see at the beginning is amazing and must really suck the impact out of the hammer. Of course, I say that all the while looking at the top-shelf quality work coming out of that shop. Maybe I should get my anvil to wobble......

I think the video work is outstanding, very nicely done.
I`d like to suggest a couple of things as far as the handwork and the making of the tool goes though.
Like one of the previous posts I can`t understand why someone would go to the effort to hand forge a blade and then use a copy lathe to turn the handle when an accomplished woodturner could hand turn a better and more detailed version of the handle in 1/10th the time. Whoever turned that handle is not an accomplished turner as they used tools like the gouge and skew in scraping rather than shearing mode and that`s why the handle required all that sanding.
Ditto the laser engraving. If you can use a touchmark for the forged blade then why not brand the handle with something similar?
I also don`t understand why someone would carve flats onto a turned and fitted pin and then epoxy that pin into a socket on a tool like this, makes it harder to transport and store. This is one of the reasons a traditional slick uses a socket to attach the blade to the handle rather a tang and bolster. Epoxy defeats the purpose of being able to break the tool down to place it in a reasonably sized tool chest. For the non-traditional slick users I`ve met up here a simple screw thru a hole in the up side of the socket kept the handle and blade mated (and toes intact) yet removal of that screw allowed the tool to be broken down and stored.
Frank also brings up some excellent points about the difference between understanding how a traditional tool was made and works and how a modern copy can miss the mark on some of the subtle yet important aspects of that tool. Traditional slicks were not flat in the blade, they had some rocker built into them as this would allow you to steer up and out of a cut when needed. The socket also was not in line with the blade, it was set at an angle to the socket so handle would clear the work while paring things like deck beams and knees in boat building and timber framing. The edge of a traditional slick was also ground with a bit of a camber along it`s edge which made it much easier to steer in the cut.
I`d like to suggest that whoever is making the tools study a traditional slick then talk to someone who has used one extensively on the job. Someone who understands the history behind one of these fine tools as well as what it was designed to do and it`s full capabilities. Once they`ve done that then their finished tools will be as slick (pun intended) as their videos.

Hey Frank,

In regards to the upswept handle it is indeed to keep your hands out of the way. In practise slicks are more akin to planes than chisels. They are meant for paring tenon cheeks and taking off high spots on timbers so the angle of the handle allows the blade to be flat on the work while still keeping a grip on the handle. A little semantics: the tool made in the video is definitely a slick and not a chisel which is meant to be struck with a hammer or mallet and will usually have a metal ring at the end of the handle to limit the mushrooming where it is struck.

Fun video, definitely jealous of the idyllic "shop in the woods".