I Forge Iron

The Birth Of A Tool (Chisel Making), Documentary movie

Good looking tool. It made me curious. I have an old slick probably made in England. The rectangular portion measures 3 7/16" x 9 1/2". It is stamped with tiny lettering, difficult to read, "MWWetherby; Warranted". The slick has a slight, smooth bend on the flat about one third of the way from the socket end (rectangular section) toward the business end. Being nit picky, I retrieved the slick and measured; the bend rises three degrees up from the non beveled side, I was told years ago by a woodworker that the bend was intentional and it was to get the worker's knuckles away from the framing;. for example, if removing material inside a door or window frame.

For the cutting edge, this particular slick has a bit of high carbon steel welded to the wrought iron body. The thickness has a smooth taper the entire length from 1/2" to 3/32" where the cutting bevel starts. This is a quite heavy slick and I'm certain that they come in various weights and sizes. I give the measurements only as a point of reference.

Hi John,
Very nice. I happened to show your axe video to some people today who are not blacksmiths or woodworkers. They were spellbound. When will your web page be up.

Larry

thanks john for both of the videos.my 3 year old sat on my lap and watched the axe video,he never moved or fidgeted.he didn't speak,the at the end he asked "can we make an axe daddy"your work is inspirational on so many levels,thanks mat.

Hello John,

Very nice video, with a lot of good information on forging tools. Would be nice to see a little more on the beginning of forging the axe.

Thanks
Jim Riddle

Not to take anything away from John's incredible sense of craftsmanship but, has our society moved so far away from physical work that the practice of making is placed so high?

I did a demo in Washington DC and one of the most asked questions was "Is that a real fire?".

Michael,
If they can not recognize fire how can you theorize how hand work is viewed?

I wish I had someone following me around to make my work look as good as John's work in those two video.

Ric

Its called marketing. Its one of the most overlooked aspects of business success and is why many talented companies and people go out of business every day. They do not spend the time and money on putting their name and product out there. If you put your chisel and his on a shelf next to each other they will likely buy the cheaper priced tool. But people who watch these videos want to go out and buy a john neeman tool even though they may never use it, just to say they have a handcrafted tool with the soul he displays in the video. They won't want your chisel but they will want Johns after watching that video.

EXCELLENT JOB on marketing your skills and product!!!!!

Heck yeah! Each of those videos should sell 100 tools each!

It is unfortunatly rare to see such high quality video production techniques in the blacksmith world. Of particular note is that these are made to sell work to the customer, not teach other smiths, every full time smith here should take a page out of his book!

Great work too, by the way, I really enjoyed watching them!

Caleb Ramsby

• 2 weeks later...