I Forge Iron

Stamping letters into 3/16 plate

Was wondering if anyone had any experience stamping letters/words into mild steel plate? I've got to get some words onto 3/16" plate (doesn't really matter the method.) I've never had much luck getting nice crisp letters when stamping.

Another idea I had was to make a "stencil" out of another steel plate, affix to the project plate, and "brush" the letters into the surface with the knotted-cup on the angle grinder, or perhaps go a different route and use a hot brass brush. I'm going to seal the surface with clear sealer and there won't be much wear and tear on this. (it's basically a sculpture/trophy type piece)

Any of your thoughts are welcomed

Mark

mark thats a beautiful looking flower on your avatar - do you have any more pictures? :) i always use letter punches too - do most people use a press then? mine never come out brilliantly.... but i have presumed that is my technique.

Hi Mark
Heres my 2 cents worth I do letter punch stamping all the time and have found free had to work best for me stamping into hot material [black heat] gives best results also I find the when placing each stamp the first position is usually the best the more I fidle fart around trying to line up each letter the harder it is
there is a set of interchangable stamps you can buy made by pryor very costly but do work well iI use them in a presS

Good luck
B S Pete

Clamp a bar to the work to use as a fence on the shank of the stamp to align the letters,

One firm whack will punch the letter,

a lot of problems occur because people will rest their hammer on top of the stamp/punch, or lightly tap the stamp/punch before striking it firmly, this allows the tool to wander from the original placemen causing misalignment and shadow punching

Clamp a bar to the work to use as a fence on the shank of the stamp to align the letters,

One firm whack will punch the letter,

a lot of problems occur because people will rest their hammer on top of the stamp/punch, or lightly tap the stamp/punch before striking it firmly, this allows the tool to wander from the original placemen causing misalignment and shadow punching

I do it this way.

Would also advise doing a test run first to ensure each stamp is in central alignment on the shank, I have one set of stamps that has a rogue one in and have to make allowances to get it to line up, it is marked with paint so I know which one it is

I stamp by hand and the first set I ever used had a notch where your thumb of your holding hand contacted the steel. This way you always had a double check if your stamp was orented in the correct direction. Using a guide is always good too if the object has enough room. Jeff

If you want to do your own lettering instead of using stamps look up Fritz Kuhn and his books. He used a thicker plate and set tools and hammered down everything that wasn't the lettering leaving the letters higher than the plate. Beautiful!

great idea john .. blacksmith pete - why do you say black heat?

Hi Beth, Simple like me, most bought decent quality stamps in the UK also have an identification letter on the front of the shank so you can orient it when in use., bit like the notch idea.

As for Pete's recommendation, Think about black heat, think about tempering temperatures, think about what's going to happen if you put a small hardened stamp onto a big red hot piece of metal,

Is light appearing yet? Also does not take as much whopping to stamp deep. Saving energy, I like that, particularly when its mine I am saving.

:) it wrecks the hardness of the letter?.... is it just cos they are usually tiny? im way more simple than you john .... i just dont think do i? :) thought it would work better softer, but you just need to hit it right once i guess...

John B your spot on 1 good hit is all it takes none of this tapping I see so often
the fence idea is good I use to use this but you still have to get your spacing correct

Beth when you are using stamps and your fingures are about an inch away from the steel trust me you dont want it too hot also the steel will be cleaner

B S Pete

:) it wrecks the hardness of the letter?.... is it just cos they are usually tiny? im way more simple than you john .... i just dont think do i? :) thought it would work better softer, but you just need to hit it right once i guess...

There you go Beth, You got it ! You did know, just had to search your own databank a bit.

Of course you think, Just a bit differently and more thoroughly, probably takes longer 'cos there's more in there.

You and Jake lose me with all your talk and ideas and interpretations, can't get my head around it all,

This metal bashing, is just making scrap to me, might be good looking and well made, but scrap, Until someone pays money for, or appreciates "it", whatever "it" may be.