I Forge Iron

The Birth Of A Tool (Axe Making), Documentary movie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the video John! I would suggest that you try working your drawknife bevel down though. I use mine that way at least 95 per cent of the time. It gives you much better control of the cut depth.
:rolleyes: john seems to be doing just fine in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your video!... I'm not able to say more than the other guys have already said...
and what I liked also is that all seemed so familiar to me, so "central European" (even that you're mostly "northern" than "central"), in contrast to what I'm used to see around here, so "American".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What is the green substance he put on the wheel?

One type of emery paste or another. It is a compound used to buff the metal to a finer polish as it is a very fine abrasive. I don't know anything specifically about the green one, but I believe it is called "green jeweler's rouge." Such pastes are often used to put a razor's edge on chisels or straight razors.

Mr. Neeman, thank you for the post. Your shop is beautiful and you are obviously a well-skilled craftsman. I will try not to be envious. I did chuckle at the end of your chisel making video when the laser CNC machine etched your name into the haft. Such a contrast to the old-world shop!

~Jonathan