I Forge Iron

Score! Thomas Fruin spinning lathe

Here's a spinning lathe I just picked up-16"swing, but there's actually 18" to the tool rest if it's close, 20" to the ways. It was covered with sawdust-has the wrong size belt so you can only use 1 speed. I'm going to change it to a 220 single phase motor with a VFD to make things easier. I've don some checking with machine tool dealers. Spinning lathes seem to run 4 grand and up. I got it pretty cheap. And it came] with 3 buckets of mandrels-mostly lamp bases and such. Half are wood-half are metal.post-1460-0-63107100-1329863215_thumb.jppost-1460-0-50502400-1329863346_thumb.jppost-1460-0-19962500-1329863388_thumb.jppost-1460-0-90652400-1329863422_thumb.jp

Nice score Mark!!!! Looks like a great lathe!

One thing- If you don't have a need for the added hight given by the spacer blocks, take them out. Eventually they will wear groves in the bed. If you do, consider making the blocks the same size as the mating surfaces. Those ways seem to be in good shape. Be a shame to run groves in them sliding the dead center back and forth...

So, ah, Where do you live?

I am going to mount a 1/8 brass shim on those blocks-seems like those blocks were put on a long time ago. I live in Hurley, N.Y.. I also need to make a proper adjustable motor mount for it. It had no motor mount-originally was an overhead belt drive machine. Before any of the historical purists chime in-it needs to be a WORKING tool to make money from ,so I need to modify it. Prefer not to, but like I said... I saw some of your stuff on allmetalshaping.com -very helpful-nice work also. I'm ordering a wheel and bearing set from May tool, and make the forks myself-got a mill and lathe,so it'll save some dough.

Thanks!

May tool IS the place! I use there wheel tools and I have a May Circle shear- great machine. There is also a guy up in Canada on your side of the country making wheel tools and lathes- http://www.bazzshop.com/index.html Don't know any more about him or his tools-

I made my first set of wheel tools.... lota work! But then I put wood handles on them. Before you put in shims- check center alignment. My lathe was out about 1/16" (wear in the bed and tail stock) Made centering blanks really hard. Also If you can set it up with a two speed switch. I think you will find that to be very helpful when trimming, doing finish work and centering under power.

If you would like, I can show pictures of the motor mount on my lathe....

OK, I'll take some in the AM.

VFD is good but if your trying to make it pay, seconds count! When producing a part that takes only a few minutes, shaving a few seconds here and there is just profit. My lathe came with a 2 speed switch and I didn't hook it up when I put on the VFD. Now- I'm desperate to have it!

How much spinning have you done? It would be nice to have someone to discuss some of the processes with...

Hey-thought I'd add some thoughts on how I'm looking to set this thing up and let me know what you think. The way it came set up is kind of a cob job. It had a 4" belt to run on 2" pulleys so it can only be run on the biggest pulley on the lathe-which is the slowest speed. I am getting the correct size belt and wanted to run it on the smallest pulley (fastest overall speed) with the VFD which will enable me to have variable speed. Going by the pulley size and motor speed (1725) it can get about 1825 RPMs max. I can change the pulley(to a larger size) on the motor if I need higher RPM's. Kind of a PIA with the flat belt, but if I need to I will. Feel free to tell me how you would set it up.
Thanks.

After looking closely at your lathe, It looks like your tool post is set up for hand tool spinning not scissor tools. The reason I think this is because of the wear in the center of the rest, toward the work. Its hard to tell how much wear but I would be inclined to fab up a bigger (thicker and flatter) rest.

I may be wrong about this but it seems to me that when the VFD is slowed down it doesn't have the same power to drive the motor with the same torque of full speed.

When I'm doing a run of parts I'm changing the speed at least once if not twice per part. Quick speed changes will be important to good production. 2" flat belt with a leaver tensioner might be the ticket. I don't know what motor if any you have. I would seriously consider a 2 speed motor over a VFD. just my thoughts...

I have included pictures of my motor mount. Its beefy. Nice thing about this setup is it allows for left to right adjustment (sliding on the sq. shaft) as well as belt tension.

post-6253-0-20803100-1330371978_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-82394800-1330371993_thumb.jp

Hey,
Thanks. Apparently from what the tech guys said, you can configure VFD's several different ways. Mine is configured to give full torque throughout the range of RPM's. The motor is a 2 horse, 3 phase, 6 amp, 60hertz if I remember it all correctly. I can fab something similar for the motor mount. Thanks for the help. I'm getting busy in the shop, and hope I can find the time to get this thing up soon. What speed is your motor??

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mark,

I don't have any comments relevent to the thread, I just wanted to say that if there were an award for the coolest picture deal that goes with ones name on here, that you should win it. What an awesome picture!

Caleb Ramsby