I Forge Iron

Im new here. Look what I have here, any ideas?

It was free so the price was right. I was told that this was used in a body repair shop a few blocks from lake michigan. The person that gave it to me said he had worked at the shop an old man came in and was talking to my friend, he had said you see that anvil, I used to use that back when this place was a horse stable. A horse stable turned body shop. That conversation took place aprox 30 years ago.
Does anyone have any idea what this guy is?

post-24327-0-78783500-1329689568_thumb.j

I will snap some other pic's this week. A little history on myself.... I have been hitting metal for the past 25 or so years. Not blacksmithing but collision repair, I have always liked fabrication. Over the years I have held on to many different kinds of metal, my wife is always asking what the F$%k is this now. I have all kinds of 1/4 stock and angle iron. I love it.

I am going to use 4x4's and mount the together verticaly. I was going to take the wood stack to a local lumberyard or a factory and see if they could band the pile together using heavy metal bands, like the ones they use to ship metal pipes. I will use a router to cut a area for the anvil to set into. Then fabricate some hold down brackets.

Not just stables early car repair places had complete blacksmith set ups; I've talked with an old smith who was bragging about being able to weld Model T springs back together without them then breaking soon after.

I bought my first big postvise from a place that had been a car repair shop since 1918, all the smithing stuff had been shunted off to the back corners but they had a full set up. Neat to see the powered woodworking tools from back then as bodies and frames were partially made from wood!

We tend to forget that most all industrial set ups included a smithy, my great uncles in law told me about the one at the sugar refinery they used to work at, I missed the shutdown auction of the large smithy at a plate glass manufacturer in a town I lived in, etc. A forge was a basic part of the maintenance & tool room!

If you could get a pic of the waist of the anvil with the horn to your left we may be able to see the manuf. markings as this is the location of most all anvil makers placing their marks. Nice looking hunk of metal.
My trentons are stamped on the side with the horn facing right....

Shape looks trenton, but the handling hole in the foot doensn't look right. Also the "font" of the numbers looks kind of wrong. Specifically the "W" and the "L" before the numbers

• 7 months later...

I ended up using 1/2 threaded rod. Its a heavy solid base, can't complain. My next project would be to build a natural gas forge. I have searched the forums but hadnt found what im looking for. I want to use a old 134 freon tank, ceramic insulation coated with a ceramic paste. I am having trouble deciding on how to build a burner, I want to use 1/2 inch pipe since I have enough of it. Any ideas would help.