I Forge Iron

My first ever project

Ozark Nick

Hi all, newbie here. Got bit by the blacksmith bug sometime in January and before I knew it I had a forge and a small piece of railroad rail to pound on.

Last weekend was the first time I was able to get it all together (and when the weather cooperated) and I was able to really bang on some hot metal for the first time.

Started out with some 1/4-inch round stock and made these three hooks.

DSCF2107.JPG

The left one was the first. Middle was second, much happier with how it turned out. The third one I did only because I just had to try a twist.

:)

I know I've got a long way to go, but I am very excited! Also just got Lorelie Sims' book in the mail yesterday.

Thanks!

Welcome to IFI, Nick. Looks like you are on your way. You will enjoy Lorelei's book. Don't stop with just one book, though. There are a lot of them out there with a lot of info in them. The main thing is to practice as much as possible. Find some local smiths and get together with them. Hands on practice will help you answer a lot of questions. Keep hammering. I look forward to seeing many more of your projects posted on this site. :)

how cool to have picked the right bug nick :) your excitement is really great - and hooks are a good thing to try becasue you can Use Them which is always very satisfying :) i dont know what stock you can get hold of but there are endless variety of hooks you can practise on and see what you like visually, for me its mainly in the curve and scale of the hook, you can make the curve really beautiful once you get your eye in. its groovy doing twists too isnt it? :) welcome to the forum hope you get loads of ideas and info - look in the gallery when you have a minute :)

Tapering the tips of your hooks will help you to improve the looks of your rattails. I also often forge (flatten slightly) the sides of my rattails after they are formed... keeps them thin and tight so that they don't hinder my hanging things with smaller holes on them and I also like the look.

Hooks are excellent practice in many of the basic forging tasks... tapering, bending, twisting, punching, texturing, etcetera. You can also experiment with finishes and the small scale keeps the learning pace moving along. Think about doing some J hooks and S hooks too... the spike end of a J hook is basically a nail (except for the head).

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

Beth, I have been looking at the gallery ... little bit of overload for me right now! ;) Gotta remember I have to pace myself!

Bigfoot, that was my thinking with the hooks. Seemed like something pretty simple which didn't require many tools and which would leave me with a functional piece at the end.

I need to find more info on finishing. It is my one disappointment in Lorelei's book, she only touches very briefly on that subject. But I suspect when I go digging around here I'll find more than I could ever use! ;)

Nick, welcome. This craft definitely gets under your skin. You start to think you could eventually make anything. I get a lot of learning from the videos on you tube and so forth. watch the video, try it, rewatch the video to see the subtelties you missed, try again at the forge.

I also have Loreleis book. Did the forge welded basket twist the other day. It came out great. S hooks are fun and easy to make. Don't take much metal and help tech decent hammer control since they are small and don't require a lot of heavy hammering.

Nick, welcome. This craft definitely gets under your skin. You start to think you could eventually make anything. I get a lot of learning from the videos on you tube and so forth. watch the video, try it, rewatch the video to see the subtelties you missed, try again at the forge.

I also have Loreleis book. Did the forge welded basket twist the other day. It came out great. S hooks are fun and easy to make. Don't take much metal and help tech decent hammer control since they are small and don't require a lot of heavy hammering.

YouTube was a big factor in helping me see that this was in fact something I could do myself! Whole different ball of wax seeing folks doing it (as opposed to just reading about it).

I assume S hooks can be made with just an anvil and hammer? The vids I've seen with S hooks folks were using a bending hardy.

Yeah, bend the S hooks over the horn, or if you're using railroad track, hit over the edge to bend it, then flip it around and hammer it into a hook. Same technique for forging scrolls.
Of course, if you have a vise, make a U shape piece of rod and clamp it in the vise, instant bending fork!