I Forge Iron

High Alumina kiln shelving??

Altusjg

Ok so i've forge welded a couple billets of pattern welded steel in my recently built forge and i'm seeing first hand what ive read about frequently. That being the speed in which flux will eat through your forge floor and lining.
I've seen kiln shelving recommended often to help prevent the flux from eating through the forge floor so i've been looking online for just that thing. I came across High Spectrum Alumina Cone 11 kiln shelving. As I also remember reading about alumina bonded refractory castables being better suited to protecting against the rapid corrosion of the forge lining/floor caused by flux than silica bonded refractory castables, i was wandering if anyone has tried the High Spectrum Alumina kiln shelving specifically. If so, would you recommend it? How does it hold up? How would i cut it to size? Any info would be appreciated? Thanks in advance and God Bless!!

Thanks for the quick reply basher. Guess ill be doing a bit of research on vertical forges as i can see having to reconstruct my forge welding forge in a much shorter time than i was hoping. I definately dont see relining/reflooring the thing after every other damascus billet is completed. So.... in the vertical forge is the billet suspended in the forge(and how) and the flux allowed to drip into a drip chamber so to speak? Do you fill your drip chamber / catch area with anything specific? I think i recall reading that some use kitty litter. Whats the best approach for mounting the burner?... Top, side, bottom? Thanks again and ill be doing my own research but any bit of info you can contribute is greatly appreciated!!

Before rebuilding my entire forge, ive decided to try applying a bubble alumina refractory on the floor and part way up the forge side wall. Ive read that this refractory is pretty flux resistant so i'm hoping it will be a better alternative to building a whole new forge. I'll have to replace the floor with a new fire brick as the current brick has been eatin most of the way through. The side walls of the forge currently have a thin layer of satanite over two 1" layers of ceramic wool blanket liner. I was wandering if i could simply apply the alumina refractory directly over the satanite layer or do i need to replace the inner 1" layer of ceramic blanket before applying the alumina refractory? Thanks for any help!