I Forge Iron

Belt grinder advice..

mfm22

It seems to me that a lot of folks are more interested in what brand is better than another. I don't get it. What has happenened to making/building your own machinery as your needs dictate? To me, that's what blacksmithing is all about. I take a lot of pride in self sufficiency. Even for the novice smith, parts are available on line to build a grinder at probably half the cost of a name brand, and that function equally as well. The best part is that you have the pride in knowing that you built something useful that will improve your production.
So, I suggest to anyone interested in a belt grinder, do some research, buy some parts and build it yourself. It's all about growth and expanding ones knowledge of the process.
This is one of those avocations, for those who do not pursue the trade, where there are no corners to cut. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
JE

JE

That is one way to look at it, but here's my take:

My time is money. I work a 40hr week just to get to come home and do this stuff. I have figured out how to make a decent knife and some decent iron work, but I'm still terribly slow. I have a page-long list of stuff that I have promised out... all of it paying work.

Now, I can wait for a deal on a decent grinder and, for the $$$ I made on a couple knives, I can buy it and be done. The time I would be spending on a grinder build can now be used in the forge and in the shop. And hopefully, one of these days, I'll move up another notch, sell a couple better knives, sell my Griz to a needy smith, and buy myself a KMG.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to scratch build a grinder, but there's only 24 hours in each day, and only a small portion of that can be used in the shop. Spending some money on some tools is my way of stretching it out a bit.

I agree Don and thanks for your numerous posts with good advice. It's like making tongs. I'd rather make things using purchased tongs and spend the time forging product. But, I do know there is much satisfaction in
making and using your own tools. Depends on where you want to spend your time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I recommend you DEWALT DW758 8” Bench Grinder.  I am using the last 7 year. Its 3/4 HP induction motor generates 3600 round per minute power for the industry matching grinding performance.
The cast iron made rugged base offers durability and stability of the machine. It comes with an aluminium material tool rest for an accurate position of the object.

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

This is possibly some of the worst and most inaccurate advice (and associated website) I've seen from someone who has clearly never used a proper 2 x 72 belt grinder with an adequate motor.  While the recommended unit would be marginally acceptable for initial general profiling, the type of abrasive and speed will most likely ruin the temper of any heat treated knife if used for final grinding or sharpening.  Not to mention that these type of bench grinders are widely available, used, for very reduced prices.  In my opinion the Knife Grinder website has been developed to attempt to take advantage of the current boom in new bladesmiths trying to get their kit together and has been restricted to "reviewing" light duty equipment available on Amazon to generate some revenue for themselves by reaping some kind of referral fees.  My advise is to take anything that is stated on their site with great skepticism, there are better options both for serious knifemakers as well as those just trying to start out and work on a budget.

8 hours ago, KnifeGrinders said:

I recommend you DEWALT DW758 8” Bench Grinder.

a tiny round wheel  of stone for making modern knives huh? what about changing grits?, how about when they wear and change diameter, that makes it hard to match a bevel that way, and do you even care now that we have removed your sales links ?

• 2 months later...

I’m new as well. Thank You to the Folks that take a little time to help us rookies out.  I have 2  1X30 belt sanders I use and a drum sander and a 4X42 with a 8 in pad. I’m disabled and do as much as I can. Working on scales and what I call custom handles has saved me.  It gets me up and moving, very thankful!!!  I’m going to be a sponge and soak up as much as possible

wanting a 2X72 grinder and I feel it would help me take it to the next level.  I sell a lot of Chef knives along with any other blades people want.  Having a blast Bleeding a lot lol. Any guidance is appreciated for me on a Disability budget.   The work I see from y’all OG guys is awesome.  If any of you sell blade blanks I would be interested!!!

Just 2 I finished in the last month  

Thanks again 

JB 

CB7509CE-B138-41E4-976E-66C3BFB3BD73.jpeg

CE7527FB-24D6-40D2-802D-0F3E4F7E88DD.jpeg