I Forge Iron

Shop Location - garden, berries, grapes

DKForge

I finally found the old building I am going to use for my shop. Now I need to decide where to put it on my property. My dilema is where I would like to put it is upwind from our garden, grape vines and berry bushes. Anyone have their shop near their garden, berries, or fruit trees and have you seen any side effects from that. I realize most of the coal smoke will be going up and over but was just wondering what you thought.

Thanks and I will post photos of the shop when it is up.

I used to have my shop in my backyard in Portland, and my coal forge and oil-burning furnace were both about 15 feet from the garden in the open air. I never noticed any problems, but it was definitely a concern and I had no other option. That was only one year though, if it was going to be a permanent setup I'd keep it away from the food. If you ran an organic farm think of how you'd feel if someone tried to build a factory next next to it...I feel like its the same sort of thing, just on a smaller scale.