I Forge Iron

Stump Anvil Question

I was just given this fella (can't complain about the price!) and had a question. I put a quarter on it to give you some scale. Obviously, somebody has spent some time with a chisel on it. What do you all think would be the best method to make it a little smoother? Welding in the cuts? I've read about anvil repair, and welding in the cuts seem to be the way, but I didn't see anything relative to fixing a stump anvil (figured it's the same as a regular anvil, but I am pretty new at this). Thanks for any and all responses.

post-12829-0-25691800-1329091948_thumb.j

post-12829-0-26502900-1329091961_thumb.j

That's a nice looking stake anvil. I might take a 80 grit flap disk or sanding disc to that LIGHTLY and just knock of any raised bits from any dings in the anvil. I would then suggest just using it. If you find at that point the dings are causing you problems you could consider doing a little more. A stake like that is more a forming tool than a heavy forging tool. Small cuts like that tend not to mark work up that badly. It takes a lot of force to extrude the steel into the grooves and any movement of the work on the anvil teednds to knock any raised bits on the work back down. A raised bit on the anvil however creates a dent in the work which is hard to get rid of.

Nice tool... and BOY that looks like an oldie...It's no wonder it's got battle scars... I'm with John on finishing it up and deal with any issues after using it... It might not be an issue at all. Enjoy the present and buy the giver a steak or a nice bottle of something..

Thanks for the information. Is there any way to tell how old it is? I know the guy that gave it to me told me it was with the Peter Wright anvil he inherited from his grandfather. The Peter Wright dates between 1852 and 1860 according to Postman, so could this be that old or older?

If you must work on it first find out what it's made from. I have seen cast iron versions that would best be left alone!

If it's wrought iron or wrought iron and steel you can fix it like an anvil. However as most folks have mentioned it would be like your great grandmother getting a facelift...

I'm guessing 19th century and not 18th.

Ok, Ok, , I promise I won't touch it (still trying to get rid of that image Mr. Powers brought to mind of my great grandmother getting a facelift!). I'll just clean it off and maybe smooth any sharp edges in the cuts with light touches of an 80 or 120 grit flapwheel. 19th century seems reasonable, based on the anvil being 1852 to 1860. Could this stake be earlier than 1852?

I found one very similar for sale last year at auction...but no indication of age..

Found this http://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/ferd_anvil_003.php ,but dating a chunk of iron might require more knowledge than most of us have access to.. I'd be tickled to death with owning it and just the knowledge it's older than anyone on here would be enough for me (but I'd still search for the approximate age...LOL)