I Forge Iron

Forge welding hammer

jeremy k

Here's is a small hammer I made during a hammer making class today, taught by Nathan Robertson. This is forged from 1045 and weighs 14.9 oz including the handle.
This hammer will be used exclusively for forge welding leaves to branches, the small end is for getting in towards the "V" of the stem and branch better. The large end is 1" in diameter with about a 3/4" radius on the face, the small end is 3/4" diameter tapered out to about a 1/8" radius at the tip of the face. Total length of the head is 5" and the handle is 12" long.

post-280-0-43628400-1329027763_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-30242100-1329027785_thumb.jpg

Well today I was able to fire up the coal forge and give the new hammer a try. 3 for 3 on the forge welding of these leaves to a branch. I was very happy with the performance of this special little hammer that I made just for this purpous - small forge welding. The weight seemed to be right and felt very comfortable during use. The leaves are forged from 3/8" round stock and the branch was 1/2" round.

post-280-0-24062600-1329093738_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-54619400-1329093752_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-29372500-1329093770_thumb.jpg

jk - how satisfying - the welds look lovely the hammer has given you some neat access - im in awe that anyone can forge weld so neatly without burning bits.... :( the work looks lovely, this is what i aspire to, i love organic ironwork that has been forgewelded, looks fantastic without any grinder - even the most subtle grinding takes away from the nature of the iron in my oppinion. you got the knack jk :) again i say respect!

Tim - The hammer was forged to to the hex shape during the drawing out between the eye and the faces, grinding was only just enough to take scale off and to get to raw shiney steel. The major grinding was done on the sides of the eye due to starting with a block of the smallest Nathan had brought ( a bit to large for what we ended up with). I had ground about 3/16"-1/4" off the sides of the eye after all forging was done. This was a last minute decision to make this style of hammer with another member at the hammer class. Ken Zitur wanted to make one like this so I went with that too, due to the fact I wanted to do more small forge welding.