I Forge Iron

Second Knife

Jeddly

Well, it may be my first, as the others seem to have been 'knife shaped objects'. The steel is 5160 that I picked up at a local spring shop. I don't have a fancy grinder at the home shop, so I carried the rough shaped KSO to work. I know a guy there that has a Wilton square wheel grinder with an 8" wheel and a host of attachments.

Let me just say, I WANT a belt grinder. I WILL have one. Pretty much the next tool on the never ending list.

I did the hollow grind by hand (getting the sides to match was sorta tricky).

Anyways, this is still a work in progress, as I am still at work, and my handle material is at home.

Please let me know what you all think.

Jed

post-12358-0-04522600-1328412623_thumb.j

post-12358-0-59794800-1328412642_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

It was marked 'Asian Satinwood'. I picked it up at a Woodcrafters store while on a trip to Oklahoma last year. I wish we had a store like that up here.

So far, I have sanded it with 600 grit, and it is pretty smooth. Feels like satin. Whodathunk? I want to polish it, but that means I need to find a buffing wheel. :)

I like it Jeddly Looks good with that satinwood. On the handle I made for my first knife I used minwax tung oil sanded in and worked up to 2000 grit (over kill maybe?) and it came out almost polished after 5 or more coats and a good hand rub with cotton. I have been drooling about getting a belt grinder for so long already. I have thought about building one but just the contact wheel alone is a bit much for me right now. I'll stick to my files and hand held bnd 1/2" knife wrecker belt sander with 1 grit belts . . . the rock they glued onto my belts leaves some really fun scratches to hand sand out lol. Ok maybe there not 1 grit there 60 but thats the finests belts I have lol. For a free hand grind you did awsome man!

Thanks for the tips guys. I've almost got all the scratches out of the blade.

I messed up the handle already. When I ground the tang, it was sorta tapered, and I didn't do a good enough job matching the wood to the taper. I'll do better next time for sure. For now, I'll just call my mistakes 'custom made inclusions'. lol