I Forge Iron

twisting tube

opiear

im still farly new to forging but i have a guy that wants me to makehim a set of steps for his truck he wants twist look but solid stock would be way to heavy. i know from my years of fabrication u can fill the tube with sand to get a smooth bend with out having a mandrel set up will this work with twisting

r u wanting the tube to be square or round. i just started messing with steel pipe like 2 weeks ago, one cool thing about it is as you draw it out the walls get thicker since the downward force causes it bunch up or upset set. so maybe start with way larger pipe, draw it out, i like squareing it up and drawing it out as opposed to fillling with sand or using a botttom swage, then twist while its squared up, andif you want it round, round it back out with a wood stump and wood mallet. that may do the trick but im sure there is a much more experienced smith who would have a better way

im still farly new to forging but i have a guy that wants me to makehim a set of steps for his truck he wants twist look but solid stock would be way to heavy. i know from my years of fabrication u can fill the tube with sand to get a smooth bend with out having a mandrel set up will this work with twisting

Short answer is yes you can twist tube, go too far and it will collapse and /or distort,

You don't give sizes or a rough sketch re attaching this to the vehicle, but have you considered using flat bar twisted with flat areas for the rungs to be secured to ?

Left hand twist for one side, right hand twist for the other, twists will give rigidity to the flat bar

• 2 weeks later...