I Forge Iron

homemade forklift anvil

hey guys im BRAND new at this. I was in Afghanistan and started watching youtube videos and the bug bit before i ever even seen an anvil. Anyway when i got home i constructed a 30# propane bottle forge and this. My homemade forklift anvil. It weighs 175# and was all welded with 7018 rod AC. Preheated with a forced air heater for 30 mins before and after each weld period. Tell me what you think. Horn has not been grinded yet and probably wont for a while. I read here it should be verticle stacked. I tried to do everything i read here to improve the finished product. Tell me what you thinkpictures

post-24073-0-76792600-1328232933_thumb.j

post-24073-0-79235600-1328232958_thumb.j

post-24073-0-47413500-1328232977_thumb.j

post-24073-0-43421700-1328233039_thumb.j

AhHA! Bandsaw!

Lay out your horn and saw the bulk of the material off...if the saw is capable. That will save you hours with the grinder. If you can saw the horn to octagonal.

Nice looking. Full penetration or edge welds? with that much mass and the solidness of a fork tine it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

Phil

actually, with the mass and size of a fork lift tine, you don't need to shape it like a London pattern anvil...you need a short straight section, a rounded over edge, a sharp edge about 3" long, and mostly a solid structure that won't dance when you hammer on it.

The reason that the site advises vertical layering of the pieces is that they are compressed and not deflected like in a horizontal stack. Energy loss is minimal if the plates are oriented vertically. You have stacked yours horizontally, and those do not look like full pen welds. They look like edge welds. But, the energy loss due to beam deflection goes as the cube of the ratio between span and thickness. Or, quantitatively, a 2" thick plate has 1/64th of the loss of a 1/2" plate. I did a simple calculation and it showed that 1/2" plates deform so much that the calculation really is not valid, and one 2" plate will dissipate approximately 6% of your hammer's energy as a worst case. If there is any contact down the centerline (such as you ground a bevel for the weld), the span is halved, so the dissipation will go down by another factor of 4 (because there are now two beams). This also immediately informs that partial welds at the waist of an anvil have an almost inconsequential impact on the forging efficiency.

This anvil looks great. I'm sure you will love it. A horn and hardy hole can come later. And they will if you continue with the craft. Your anvil is way better than my first two, and probably better than my third. My fourth is probably better, and my fifth is way better, but I spend most of my time forging with my third, since it is just fine.

To everyone thanks for the replies. Yes it was a flat red color H/F vert-horz band saw. The thick sections took near 30 mins to cut but slow and steady and i only went through 1 blade. to EVFREEK----- I se what you mean, i was under the impression the forks need only have there wide faces facing up/down to be verticle. Not the intire peice. It has two fork sections for the horn welded together and the waist aswell. I beveled all the welds a .25" before welding. I have a root and then two layers on top. Would this still be conciderd edge welds? Also, ive read SO many ways to "create" a hardie hole. I can do with out the horn for a while but i think id like havin a hole. What do yall recomend. Drilling consecutive holes and filling, flamin it or what. Thanks for all the positive feedback

would that require welding the entirety of the cylindrical void or just the top and bottom? I guess i didnt understand like i thought. Also were would be the best place to obtain said square tubing, and what would be the proper wall thickness, type of steel? Also he forks had " TS16143" stamped in. Could this possibly be a steel type?

Most likely that's a part number from the manufacturer. The manufacturer may be able to trace that down to what alloy was used.

As for welding the typical preheat and postheat for medium to high carbon steels is suggested---don't draw the current temper and the face should be usable as it is.

As hardy tools just sit there with force being directed to the anvil face by the overhanging sides of the tool you don't need excessive strength there---I have an anvil missing the heel where I have a section of sq tubing held to the back with a 1/2" U bolt and it works though the hard tools only bear on the face on one side. So a good pen top and bottom weld should be sufficient. If you manage to break the weld in use---weld it up again!

As for the tubing I would go with structural rather than thin wimpy tubing. I get all mine from a scrap yard next door to where we take the trash in Polvadera NM. Since you don't list a location you must be in NM too---right? Some people even make their own by welding up four lengths of steel strap---I'm lazy. I pick up sections of sq tubing that look "useful" when I can find them free or cheap and when I need one I mosey over to the cabinet where they are stacked and get one.

Now think about this: You *made* that anvil and so you can do nothing to it that you can't fix!

Sorry I haven't been following this like I wanted but if you haven't finished the hardy and plan to weld a box in as Thomas Powers suggested (and I actually did on my home made anvil), may I offer further suggestions. I beveled both sides of the square hole heavily and filled with weld. I wanted to post pics here but the uploader is at best, excruciating to us anymore with its finicky size restrictions, but they are all in this post: Show Me Your Anvil Post # 425 (page 22 if not directed to it)

I've seen several "anvils" made using forklift tines ,but this one is pretty cool...

I found where my local scrap yard had a pile of forks hidden today...maybe a dozen in various sizes... Looks like I'll be getting at least one to fabricate something similar..

Thanks...and don't forget to add the finished photos when you get done...