I Forge Iron

W2 Tanto Progress Pics

Description: Tanto in W2

Steel: W2 Tool Steel
Thickness: .312 at Machi .205 at Yokote
Blade: 11.25" Nagasa (trying for Choji Hamon)
Here are some Progress pictures of a Tanto that I am working on currently.
This is my first piece out of W2 (from Don Hanson) and I am very excited about working with this steel

1879d1173116141t-w2-tanto-progress-pics-photo 1
Shown here is the original stock size, next to the broken down bar stock. I flattened it with a 12 Lb sledge with my brother holding the steel, took about two hours to get it down to 3/8" x 1 1/4". As you can see the original stock is 11" long, and the bar is 19" long, so flattening got my an extra 8 inches. Suprisingly the process of breaking down into bar stock was much easier than expected.

1880d1173116159t-w2-tanto-progress-pics-photo 2
Sunobe (rough shape) formed. at this point I will cut it off of the bar and form the Nakago

1883d1173116255t-w2-tanto-progress-pics-photo 3
Finished forging, did about 5 minutes drawfiling to check all the faces and shapes. I decided to move the machi up from what you see here. I originally had a 10 3/8" Nagasa but decided that the 9 7/8" balanced better with my intentions.

1884d1173116269t-w2-tanto-progress-pics-photo 4
Profile view showing the pretty much finished shape (all drawfiles and hand sanding, feel the burn baby)

1879.attach

1880.attach

1883.attach

1884.attach

Very nice work. You are doing some great hand work. I can understand the hand filing and long hammering precoess. Personally the more "hand" work I put into something, I do soapstone and wood carving as well - that's what keeps me busy during the winter, the more I have a connection to the finished piece.

Brian