I Forge Iron

newest scores

well i have been lurking on the web and community for anvils and other tools and it payed off, i just need to pick up this 200lb that looks like a peter wright
post-15377-0-47749700-1328152118_thumb.j
post-15377-0-16636000-1328152137_thumb.j
post-15377-0-65971600-1328152162_thumb.j

cost (may want to sit down): $90

then i got another response to my ads with these: anvil looks to be a mousehole
post-15377-0-41785100-1328152312_thumb.j

the vice looks like a peter wright (closed female end in the shape of a bell):
post-15377-0-08289900-1328152385_thumb.j

i will be going to look at them this weekend or sometime near there, guy just wants the best offer (has received none) so he can get them out of his barn.... i also have a lead on a gas forge, farriers anvil, and bunch of tongs and other tools

went to look at the anvil and post vice today, photos make them look better than they really are, tha anvil's face is starting to de laminate and the vice dosnt close all the way (screw copletely tightened) and the guy ***claimed*** to have an offer of 350, i said "JUMP ON IT! take the offer"

If the screw and screwbox are in decent shape you can reforge the bent leg(s) back into shape; but probably not a job someone starting out wants to handle as it's a lot of very hot metal to mess around with.

How did you check the delamination? Some anvils have fairly prominent weld lines on the sides but no delamination in the interior.

If the screw and screwbox are in decent shape you can reforge the bent leg(s) back into shape; but probably not a job someone starting out wants to handle as it's a lot of very hot metal to mess around with.

How did you check the delamination? Some anvils have fairly prominent weld lines on the sides but no delamination in the interior.

i tested the lamination with my "anvil testing kit" a ball pein hammer, 1/2" ball bearing and a thickness guage for spacing magnitos on small motors, tapped it with the hammer *dong* hollow sound and very little rebound, ball braring dropped from aprox 1 foot rebounded 2", thickness guage on area where it looked to be delaminating and the cornger of the card slid in a 1/4" on the corner....pass lol

the screw was not good enough to warrant the $100 i offered and he said i was way off

i have never seen an anvil like this tho, it looked like a peter wright (edge on the feet) but on the step unser the horn there is a 4 on each side and nothing on the sides, not evern stone weight markings

• 3 weeks later...

so i got the 200lb anvil home, turned out to be 150lbs, I agrred to pay $90 before i saw it, it has some dings in the face that are about 1/4" wide and 1/8" deep, some nave been welded. About 2/3 of the way srom the step, just before the waist, there is a crack clean through the face plate on the edge (3/4" across face) and it has a little de-lamination. for $90 its not a bad deal... oh, and the guy threw in a seized 6" post vice that i got freed up a,d 22 sets of tongs AND 3 handled round punches.