I Forge Iron

Champion 400 Blower and Forge

brentwerner

I have a buddy trying to sell me this forge. From the little research I've done it looks like a Champion 400 blower but I can't tell much about the force itself. Both are pretty rusted up. The blower cranks fairly easily but sounds like a bearing is about to turn loose.

The forge is so rusted nothing is legible and there is a leg broke off, probably rusted off.

My questions....

The connecting pieces seem to be there but don't quite line up. It looks like it might have come from a different blower. Does this fit the 400 and this forge? Do I need to get some kind of duct to connect the blower to this piece?

And I was wanting to clean this up real well. I have access to a sand blaster. Didn't really want to throw the blower in without disassembly, but I've read some bad posts on here of people bending teeth and I'm afraid the case might crack. Would the sand hurt the guts if cleaned and relubed? Or if I'm careful can I get by?

And the forge looks to be missing a firepot. I didn't know if these connected and then a tuyere was used.

A lot of questions but I was thinking of building a brake drum forge and this guy wants to sell all this for $80. I figured I'd have about that in constructing on that I'd like. But if I get this for $80 and have to drop a lot more into I don't want to waste my time.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light.

post-24025-0-31412800-1328144135_thumb.j

post-24025-0-22857800-1328144145_thumb.j

post-24025-0-43611700-1328144154_thumb.j

post-24025-0-48131800-1328144168_thumb.j

post-24025-0-69333200-1328144180_thumb.j

post-24025-0-79524800-1328144196_thumb.j

post-24025-0-62928700-1328144208_thumb.j

If the 400 turns I would offer 50 but pay the 80 if he stands on his price. You can stick a piece of pipe in the hole for the leg. I would not even go hog wild restoring it. I have a rivet forge with a small blower. I put thin fire bricks in the bottom of mine and around the sides (made it square) . That protects the pot. I made a hole in the middle and cut a piece of 3/16 plate to cover the air inlet to the pot and cut slits with a 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel in it. If (when) it melts it will be easy to replace.

That 400 is a nice blower. Good project for under $100.00 bucks you'll be in business.

the forge is different from the blower you could hook it up with whatever pipe you want to use . the blower is a good one ! oil it and the sound might go away mine can sound kinda gravely when it needs oil..as far as firepot this type of forge dosent use one you need a grate and thats it... go ahead and clean up the forge but if the blower works good after a good oiling i wouldnt sandblast... wouldnt want any sand getting in to the bearings or gears... you could clean the outside with a wire wheel tho...

In this style, the tuyere bolts into the hole then the pan is clayed to make the "pot" shape. There is a fitting missing to connect the blower but that's no big deal.

You can pull the top cover on the blower by removing two screws then working carefully to free it from under the lip. This will become self-evident when you start messing with it. The big center gear that drives the fan shaft may be very worn if someone used the blower a lot or ran it dry. They are hard to find and would be a deal killer if it's heavily worn. There are also 6 roller bearings in the housing; 2 for the handle, 2 for the intermediate shaft and 2 for the fan shaft. All of those should be cleaned and greased - although the lower ones will receive some oil during use. Most blowers were not used much and the 400 is one of the best manual models around so it's worth some coin if in decent shape.

• 2 weeks later...

The forge you have appears to be the 147 or 146 model. It uses the mounted blower (model 40 perhaps) It uses no fire pot, thus it has none.

That 400 blower is nearly twice the size of the original. You have a pan forge that requires an 8 inch blower fan and the 400 you have is more like 12 inch. The 400 is designed as a stand alone unit, thus the stand. It doesn't attatch to that forge, but it can be if you use some dryer duct. The stand was designed to replace the leather/wood bellows found originally in a blacksmith shop.