I Forge Iron

foot pedal vice?

joshua.M

I have a different design than that one, but it does come in handy. The block in the front is for upsetting bolt heads and the lower block on the rack is adjustable so you can raise and lower it. That gives you a bottom stop for the bar you're working on. My vise has several sets of different size holes that fit in the vice jaws and that block is down in the middle instead of out front. Mine was over $400 so $175 is a deal!

The vee swages as shown in JeffB's first pic are for the farrier who is forge-welding toe calks. If welded in the die, toe calk downward, the calk becomes sharp for loose soil plowing or for wintertime, sometimes called "sharp shoeing." The sharp heel calks can be done at the anvil, the wedge length of the medial one in the horse's line of stride and the lateral one crossways to the line-of-stride.

Thanks for letting me know about this vise Joshua. I just replied to the ad.

I should be going to the demo I just missed out on participating. Was that you who got the last spot <_<. Good to hear you got in.

Are you going to make it to Waldie's in Milton?

Mr. Newman, you will indeed like the vise. Consider it a third hand in one sense. Mine is not bolted down but if you have a floor plan that allows definite setup you may so choose. You can twist bloody hot 1/2 square with ease, isolate (quench) and reverse twist in one heat. I just use tongs. Repetitive starts on forgings ( chalk mark ) for bends. The toothed upright allows for absolute same starts on bends. Yes, mine has been slapped around with the hammer on hot metal and is still one tool that is indispensable when needed.

Thanks for letting me know about this vise Joshua. I just replied to the ad. I should be going to the demo I just missed out on participating. Was that you who got the last spot <_<. Good to hear you got in. Are you going to make it to Waldie's in Milton?

yes it was me! i heard somone called just after i confirmed.... im not sure about waldies.... what is going on there?

I am still waiting to hear a response from the person with the vise. Hopefully it has not sold already.

Joshua, The February OABA meeting is at the Waldie blacksmith shop in Milton. It is an old blacksmith shop downtown in Milton that is owned and operated by the local historical board. There is usually a pretty good turnout there. Lloyd Johnston who used to visit with the last blacksmith who to run the shop and is a very good smith himself will be doing a demo.

• 2 weeks later...