I Forge Iron

Need blacksmiths to demo sell wares at UK shows

For many years now the Guild has promoted blacksmiths and our craft ( Not just our members) at quality Craft and Country shows, some members on this site may have seen the displays and demos we do, this is our main public face for the Guild and what we do, promoting blacksmithing and our training facility, courses and how we can tailor them to suit individuals or groups requirements.

Due to the retirement of our show coordinator we are reassessing how we can continue with and improve the presence of blacksmiths, demonstrating and selling their own hand made items at the shows and promoting the craft in general.

We are looking for reliable people to participate at these shows, or some new venues as well as ones we have attended.

To establish if this is going to be feasible, we are looking for interested parties at whatever skill level to declare an interest and willingness to commit, it may be one show or more.

When the potential participants are known we can tailor a schedule to suit who is available and which shows to attend.

Most of these shows would cost well in excess of £180 for a single table, the cost to our (paid up) members is nil, a marquee and tables are provided, the size of marquee being dependant on the potential to fill it with hand made items we had been using a 60 foot by 20 foot marquee, with 16 to 20 table units and a dedicated forging area.

We also had a Chip'n'pin facility for members, The Guild also has forge set ups if you don't have your own, some of the shows transport anvils, forges and vices to the venues we are working at, others we take our own set ups.

There was also prize money available to go towards a competition that would be judged by a public vote, this gave a better idea of what was commercially popular rather than what was technically the 'best'.

Possible venues.
Hatfield House, Great North Road, Hatfield , Herts AL5 9NQ
Honiton Showground, Stockers Farm, Gittisham, Honiton, Devon EX14 3AW
Mapledurham House, nr. Reading RG4 7TR
Newby Hall, Ripon HG4 5AE
Gaddesden Estate, nr. Hemel Hempstead HP2 6EZ
Dalemain, Penrith CA11 OHB
Squerryes Court, Westerham, Kent TN16 1SJ
Parham Park Nr Pulborough, West Sussex RH20 4HS
Loseley Park, Compton, nr Guildford, Surrey GU3 1HS
Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire HP16 9AE
Windsor Racecourse, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 5JJ
Chester Racecourse, Chester CH1 2LY
Leighton Hall, Carnforth LA5 9ST
Thoresby Park, Near Ollerton, Nottinghamshire, NG22 9EH
Thame Showground, Kingsey Road, Thame, Oxfordshire, OX9 3JL
Broadlands, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 9ZD
Burghley, Burghley House, Stamford, Lincolnshire, PE9 3JY
Cheshire County Showground, Tabley, Nr Knutsford, WA16 0HJ
Sandringham, Sandringham Park, Sandringham, Norfolk, PE35 6EN
Bowood House, Nr Calne, Wiltshire, SN11 9PQ
Hertfordshire Showground, Dunstable Road, Redbourn, Hertfordshire, AL3 7PT

Any questions or to register an interest in attending one or more shows, please contact me.
Guild membership costs £20, got to be a good deal !

I'd be happy to come along to some of them too, though I have been trying to cut down on the number of shows I drag my demo gear along to.

I must pull my finger out and join the Guild again this year. Do I just need to send a cheque to you to do that?

Hi Dave, No, to membership secretary see details on www.blacksmithsguild.com

Can you indicate shows you are interested in, have to know this because Blacksmith feature will be advertised on the Show site which is why we need to know who will attend where,

I have demonstrated at a lot of those shows, when I demonstrated for live crafts and would be happy to give a honest opinion of their potential (by pm), or at least what the potential was when I used to do them them .
some on that list were good shows.....

john id like to take part in some of these things in principal, but it would totally depend on when the shows were. my nearest are the oxfordshire wiltshire and reading. how much work would you need from us - and what would be involved?

Hi Beth,
We are waiting to see if someone is prepared to take on responsibility for attending the shows, until we have someone, we don't know for definate which shows we will be able to support.

We are there to primarily entertain the visitors, and display the craft, which is why we get free disply area/marquee

As to what is needed, hand made items by the maker, to display, but mainly for purchase by the public,

Demonstrations, to keep the crowd entertained and to draw them in to the display and sales

Demonstrations are basically someone doing something on a coke forge, or showing each other techniques and skills, or just practicing.

To make it more interesting for the guild members attending there was a competition loosely based on a theme, on the last day of the show, when all made pieces were done, there was a public vote as to the winning piece.

The public vote was preferred to the 'professional judges' as it indicates the items likely to sell, it also meant everyone who entered had the same chance of winning whatever their skills.

So, all you need to do would be to turn up with items to sell and some tools and material to work on

Most of the shows sell well in excess of £1000 of items, more sales would be forthcoming if there were more on display and available to purchase, if we can get someone to attend and be responsible for the shows we will continue with the Chip'n'pin facility for our members to utilise. Between 40% to 64% of sales were done using this facility.

Previously, some members have made a good living from these shows, catering specifically for them, with added income from commisions obtained at/from the shows, the potential is excellent, it will be a great shame if the opportunity is lost.

It was also the most public face of the Guild, promoting our courses and members

Other shows you could attend would be on the NBCC (National Blacksmiths Competition circuit) but these have small entry fees. www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk where you can compete in live or static displays and put out items for sale

Attendance figures of between 80,0000 to 250,000 can be expected at these shows

I think size of show and expectation is a little beyond me at the moment but i will definitely keep my eye on what's happening in case i can help out.

It does sound like a great opportunity but i only work weekends at the moment and as such, preparing for such a large show would be a big job.

i know what your saying greenbeast - im not sure i could get enough stuff together for shows, and you want reliable commitments for this, people with lots of things to sell... im already trying to do more things than i can keep up with.. i will keep my eye on this thread and see what happens..

If someone comes forward to be present and take responsibility for some of the shows at their choice, then it does not matter if you have loads or little amounts to sell, the objective is to promote blacksmithing and to try to get sales and commisions for those who attend, if only a few turn up, then there is enough for a display.

Ironwork looks good when there are loads of it, but it also looks good when individual pieces are featured, the presentation layout can be determined when the people attending turn up, the key thing is we need someone (or more) to take responsibility for the shows and arrange which ones they will be able to attend,

When that happens we can publish details of the shows dates and venues so others can determine and confirm they can support and attend them.

So far it is not looking too good, but time will tell.

Well current situation, we have a volounteer willing to organise/coordinate the various craft shows, we need som dedicated supporters now,

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation at the moment, and I am busy at a show at the moment, so I will keep you informed as things develop.

Thanks for all the responses (private and public) so far, all are welcome whatever their skill levels and how much they have to offer, the sum total of the parts can be quite formidable, and it is a group/guild effort.

Beth, don't underestimate yourself or what you can show! (...?) I intend to take only a few things: simple stuff to sell, some equipment I have made and used regularly to cook over fires with (for a small period cooking display) to show what I can do and... just to do some basic stuff for the crowds while learning a bit from the other smiths who turn up. Give it a go. G.

some general advice on doing shows, I have upwards of 180 under my belt.
Bring a wide range of product from £5 to a couple of grand. bring photographs of work as well.
People in general do not have a lot of imagination so you have to show them what you can make.
In general Women are the major client at craft fairs they are either the purchaser or hold vito on the purchase (there are of course many exceptions)
If you are demoing try and make something quick that can be sold over at the end of demo, I made hundreds of rams head pokers and thousands of hooks that were in existence in my possession for as long as the bees wax took to dry.
People are not at all worried about paying £30 for a poker that takes you half a hour to make especially if you put on a show. watching you forging, makes the object special.
Be prepared for the same old questions again and again , and answer them again and again its part of the job description.
lastly, do not over do it , I have damaged shoulders from hitting the metal too hard when demonstrating, its hard not to when people are watching, watch out for kids eyes at forge welding spark height, do not be afraid to get people to move way away if you are forge welding, make a big deal of it then invite them back close to see what you have done.
The thing I liked best from all those fairs (apart from good pork pies and beer with friends around the camp fire) was hearing the occasional clued up parent explaining exactly and correctly what you were doing to their kids . There are people out there who know about forge welding and hole punching and iron and steel and damascus...........

Be prepared for the same old questions again and again , and answer them again and again its part of the job description. lastly, do not over do it , I have damaged shoulders from hitting the metal too hard when demonstrating, its hard not to when people are watching, watch out for kids eyes at forge welding spark height, do not be afraid to get people to move way away if you are forge welding, make a big deal of it then invite them back close to see what you have done.

I burned a little girl at one demo....more sacred then damaged..she was 30 feet away when I struck a forge weld...got her in the face. I had two rope lines..one for watching and one further back for forge-welding.....I thought 30 foot was enough.
Since then I use clear plastic screens on metal stands set right in front of the anvil to catch it all. When they are scared I rotate them 180 and use them again (offset them below the anvil height so rotating is an option).

I second Owen's don't damage yourself comment.....do appropriate things for hand working....fast and little seems to be the best.
Folk like twists and scrolls more than hot cutting and do not care if it is 6mm square or 60mm.
Forge-welding is less impressive to most folk then you think.

Have fun..make it good for you as well...happiness shows and so does grief.

AND two more things
1)apparently everyone I have ever met at a demo had a grandfather who was a smith (and he was better than I am)
2)no matter what I was making someone always told their child it was a horse shoe.....I asked one woman how a three scrolled trivet could be a horse shoe, but it did not phase her.

Ric

• 3 weeks later...

John made me aware of this on the joining methods course last weekend.
I could make a few of the shows in and around Oxfordshire.

I have very minimal experience and very few tools, but I will be practising soon, now that we are getting rid of the snow.

There may not be a lot I can make, but i'd be happy to fetch and carry.
Will certainly help me make a few contacts I suppose and see how people make their money smithing. Plus I am all for helping keep the craft alive, if I can help.