I Forge Iron

My Little Smithy

I built this smithy about 18 months ago. Nothing used was purchased ... all scrounged or donated. Built the walls as tip up units. Used asphalt cut outs from a dump site for most of the flooring. Found a pick up load of cement forming plywood - has a form of formica as covering to allow a smoother finish. Door from sauna ... roofing tile from extra that my brother had and all nails taken from found nail gun strips ... and so on. Cheap, strong, drafty ... 7x7' interior dimension. I work from the center of the room ... everything is within easy reach. All stock that is over a couple foot long is outside. Small and efficient, but no room for any thing you could consider big. No power and no heater or A/C. Have to do any summertime work before 10AM as the heat here in the high desert can get to over 118. Anvil is a loaner - seems to be a vulcan. Forge is a large brake disk set on diamond plate (its upside down) and cast 2" pipe connected with tin cans tied on with tie wire (found that too) - Champion blower ... stainless steel slack tub with Superquench and in one corner we have used motor oil for quenching also. The window is some wire mesh I found in the road and the lumber is all scrounged from a dump site. The fire brick on the forge is from a demolished house ... big stuff! The punches and chisels are all yard sale items at 50 cents each. Hammers are all yard sale stuff too - except for a HF hammer that has been rehandled. Out front sits a champion forge that is cracked. The smithy sets within a small raised bed garden that has been unattended this past winter ... nearest the smithy there is a coal/charcoal bin. Have to use charcoal when there is no wind ... coal smoke causes complaints from the neighbors.

It doesn't take much in the way of money to have a shop or tools or supplies or something to burn ... just a willingness to scrounge, use some imagination and be dedicated to getting what you need to learn how to be a blacksmith. Today was my first fire in almost a year as I was busy with tending to an ill wife. She's better and now the shop is open again and I spent some time practicing pointing up several different sizes of that nemisis rebar. I really have missed holding a hammer.

post-10988-0-04270500-1327785994_thumb.j

post-10988-0-57488600-1327786089_thumb.j

post-10988-0-33373600-1327786137_thumb.j

post-10988-0-17306100-1327786165_thumb.j

post-10988-0-10151500-1327786196_thumb.j

post-10988-0-72950300-1327786223_thumb.j

post-10988-0-70232000-1327786243_thumb.j

its wicked tim - i love it!! its so cool what you can scrounge for nowt isnt it? you made a great job of that little workshop :) love how youve bothered with the detail - hope you get some good amounts of time in there... looks like you live somewhere warm and dry! lucky you :)

Thomas - yep lump charcoal is the way to go ... ran out of mesquite charcoal so have to go to restaurant supply next pay day.

Thanks for all the comments. Hopefully newbies can see that they don't have to be limited because they can't have a full fledged shop. I keep in mind a video I saw of a guy in Africa hammering on some unknown piece of steel with a small boy pumping a skin bag for a forge air supply. They did not wait until they had everything just right. I've paid a great deal of attention to the senior members here and have tried to embrace their constant reminders to others to "get something hard, build a fire and beat something until you learn how to make things" Be in the action mode, planning can only go so far. Mat is right, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The horseshoe over the door. In the U.S., the householders normally hang it heels up "to hold the luck in." In Ronald Webber's British book, "The Village Blacksmith," the author says the shoe goes heels down over the smithy door, so that "the luck continuously pours forth upon the forge." I found this mini horseshoe at an antique mall, 3 1/4" long, and I keep it over the house door, heels down. To each his own.

post-74-0-75443200-1330101393_thumb.jpg