I Forge Iron

Firebrick and Castable questions

I want to make my own gas forge, but I am not sure about the insulation. There is a guy selling firebrick and castable but I'm not sure if what he has will work for a forge or not.

Looks like some of the firebricks he has are Kruzite-70.

Here's his ad:

http://saskatoon.kij...QAdIdZ349510997

I emailed him and he is asking $2.00 per brick and $25.00 per bag of castable, he also has ceramic fiber at $100 per box.

Are these prices reasonable? If so, are there any other questions I should be asking him before I buy some firebrick and possibly ceramic fiber? Are there brand names or anything that I should avoid?

Thanks,
Justin

The prices on the brick are not crazy, the fiber is about right.

You'll want to use Insulating Firebrick for the inside of your forge, and hard firebrick for the floor of your forge. Hard firebrick is just that. Insulating firebrick is soft (think heavy styrofoam). "Superduty" is usually reserved for hard firebrick (rated above 2600 degrees F) I've not heard of the brands involved, and I suspect he got a hold of a batch of stuff from China and now he's trying to unload it (which is what some people do for a living). Is this a local, cash and carry operation? If so, ask to see the stuff, you'll know pretty quickly what you're dealing with when you inspect the goods.

What you want to use depends on how you plan to use your forge. I must have missed that info.

A forge for hard use---like repointing jackhammer bits will need to be insulated differently than one for just doing small knives on weekends and if you plan to weld in it you might want to build it differently from either of those methods.

So far it's like saying you found a race car and a dump truck for sale---which one should you buy?

Well, I was thinking about building a brick pile forge to start with and then upgrading once I figured out exactly what size and configuration works best for me. I wouldn't be doing anything vey heavy duty, probably nothing bigger than 3/4 inch stock to begin with. I'd love to be able to weld in it, but it isn't really a necessity at this point. It would be used random evenings and weekends whenever I get the chance to fire up for an hour or two.