I Forge Iron

Fixed Folder

AZtrapper

I recently read about a knifemaker named William Scagel, while researching Randall knives. Randall was inspired indirectly by Scagel, while using a knife made by Scagel to scrape boats. He marveled at the durability and edge holding abilities of that knife, and the rest is history. The Randall Knife museum in Florida has the largest single collection of Scagel knives in the world.

Anyway, one of Scagel's creations was a drop point hunter, fixed blade with a secondary folding blade in the handle. He only made 12 of those. I didn't research that further, but seeing your example, I guess it would be something like that. "What's old, is new". Thanks for posting that.

Robert

P.S., William Wales Scagel (Feb 12, 1873 - Mar 26, 1963)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me. Its interesting, but this is just a novelty piece; Right? Maybe I'm just overly safety conscious, but it just doesn't seem like one could safely use a small blade with a larger blade wagging around your soft fleshy wrist area. Can you say, "severed tendons"?? Again, Maybe its just me... :huh:

(Wish we had a "stirring the pot" emicon) :D

I would imagine the larger, fixed blade remains in its sheath while the smaller folding blade is used. Conversely, the smaller blade remains folded while the larger is unsheathed for coarser or tougher work. Maybe cumbersome, but it solves the "double-ended" problem. Don't know what the sheath looks like, if it's easy to remove from a belt or whatnot. Interesting design anway.

BT

Not thing against the maker in anyway; The craftsmanship looks Top Shelf! :) But it seems to be the nature of multi purpose tools. I love Swiss Army knives and I would like to have a nice Leatherman some day but they are too pricey for my pocket. That being said, with most multi purpose tools, in my experience, only one tool or two, at best, work well. A few more work ok if nothing else is available. The rest are there just because they can :D

I had seen these scagal knives before and wondered how practical they were. I figured that theye probably weren't all that user friendly. Years ago I saw a knife with a handle that you could remove and then slip over the blade and their was a different blade under the handle. So the knife was basically two knife blades back to back with the guard in the middle and then that sheeth was both the handle and that sheeth. It had a button on the handle/sheeth that you pushed to release it from the blade/Tang. I never got to try this knife. And it never seen one like it since.

My understanding is Scagle was asked to make these for a sporting goods company that he sometimes made goods for. I don't necessarily think that Scagle himself even came up with the design but may have been asked to build them. I've also read where after making these none of the 12 made ever sold.

I think the reasoning behind Ochs making one is that among ABS members Mr. Scagle is THE knife maker who came before Mr. Bill Moran.
my 2 cents