I Forge Iron

Brian Brazeal Hammer

Perry Thomasson

I just got a Brian Brazeal forged to finish 3 1/2 lb rounding hammer in the mail yesterday when I got home. It was late so I'll try it out tonight. These are great hammers. I had the pleasure of striking for the same type hammer (about a pound less) at Brian's last March for a three day class. Wish that I had more time to spend there. I would encourage anyone looking to further their blacksmith skills to take a class with Brian. His level of knowledge is outstanding as well as his ability to convey that information. Brian and Karen are great hosts and Karen is an awesome cook. You won't be disappointed.

Perry Thomasson

post-14738-0-12048700-1327443272_thumb.j

Perry thats a nice hammer, I think I am going to have to make me one like that. Hey David if you will let me know when you want to come by Brians I will try to get Brian to let me strike for a new hammer. This way you can see what 2" diameter 1045 is like. The hammer Perry was talking about that is a pound lighter was made from 1 3/4" diameter 1045.
I enjoyed talking to you David but by no means was I trying to dicourage you from anything, just trying to let you know what you are getting into. I admire you for your willingness to work with larger steel by hand. You are going after the true meaning of forging this means efficiency is the key.

I have two of these. One we made at a hammer workshop which is probably 2 lbs. I don't use it very much it's too light. Another one that Brian and I made which I believe is 4#. Prior to making the 4#er I was using a 3# cross peen from home depot. I still like that one but almost exclusively use the 4#. I find at this point that the 4# is as heavy as I want to use for general use. Which really isn't all that much considering this is a hobby and there's that whole full time job and so forth... I am stil not good with using it at all the angles possible especially on the flat side. I think that a 3.5# might have been the perfect size. But it's all good. It is really cool to be using a hammer that you made yourself (the two of us that is).

Glad to see you got your hammer, Perry. That is the size of hammer that I prefer for most of my work. The head weight is 3 1/2 pounds and probably around 4pounds with the handle.
Borntoolate, your hammer was made from the same size piece of material and is probably a little bit lighter since it took a few more heats and hits than it did with Lyle.

Finally got my forge built this week..waiting on my coal instead of charcoal...hope to meet with Brian and Lyle to see and feel what it really means to create such a monster. The one I saw the other day was such an eye opener. And that is what I have been getting since getting into this project. HammerOn gang!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the hammer. Brian's hammers are the best I have ever seen or used. I love my 2# rounding hammer.

I really treasure the experience I was able to glean from spending the few weeks he was here with us in Virginia. Being able to participate in making my hammer and just watching and listening to him work gave me a deeper understand of moving material under hammer. Spend as much time as possible around Brian...He is the very best in my opinion.

I need to get me another hammer...a cross pein like my boss's. I just need to save up some cash and/or make up a holiday! HA!!

I am also looking forward to South Dakota this July to hang out around him again at the ABANA Conference.

Peyton

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Apologies for the short and somewhat dismissive answers above.

Many people copy and sell his style of hammers, some with his blessing and some without.  Look on ebay, or contact those who have taken his class like Littleblacksmith here on IFI.  

I agree with Glenn.  Brian teaches week long intensive classes from which you will walk away with both a hammer and a tremendous amount of knowledge and experiance.  Well worth the price for a beginner.  

I have never taken a class in person with him, I just follow his teaching, Alec Steele has an online school, and one of the classes on there is taught by Brian and I own that one, and also own the toolmaking class taught by Alec, who was taught by Brian and also own the hand forging tutorial videos he offers. I wish I had been taught by Brian, I am friends with many people who have been, and have taken classes from them, and learned all I can from them.

Yeah, He is headed to Kenya Africa, he was planning to go last year, still hasn't gone.....I heard they first have to ship all the tools there, and are waiting for them to arrive. donno, about two years ago I talked to him in person and he said he gives classes to those who got deep pockets.

I messaged GT Forge already and got him in touch with a friend of mine who gives classes and also sells the hammers.

Littleblacksmith