I Forge Iron

Ergonomic Hammers Im Sorry Uri Hofi

Stumptown Forge

Rockstar. I have both of the hammers you show I personally do not like the grip on the second hammer the one with the tuning fork here in florida the grip dose not work well with the weather and humidity.

My major point of hammers and ergonomics. as new smiths come to the trade the biggest mistake they make is gripping the hammer to tightly. So if there is a tool that is out there that can help protect your self then use it. I have wood, metal and fiberglass handles that I use my self. I use fiberglass that's my choice.  I like its performance and the way it holds up for me here in florida. Yes I have broken fiberglass handles. I like a long handle with 2 holding points and with a heavy hammer they just do not make wood handles that are rated for over 4 pounds.

There is merit to what Uri dose with the hammer how a smith uses the edges and the face I figured that out a long time ago its in the books written in 1910. its not the hammer shape or style its the method of using it. That is what gives you the results.

Ya I was a little harsh with the BS comment. In this country you make a statement of fact of a science you better have the study to prove it not just a buzz word (O ya the studies are done post mortum I did the research). I do not think OSHA is the gospel far from it. it falls short on many fronts.

Blacksmithing is a craft, an art, skill,and a trade what ever you call it. Trying to bring the next generation into a safe and fun and of-filling journey is my only goal.     

Being new to the learning process, I can say that the idea of an ergonomic tool has a very desirable tone to it... The >$100 price tag just kills it for me though, as its beyond my realm of budget... I'm not saying that the craftsmanship behind a great many hammers doesn't warrant the cost, it just makes me ponder exactly how much of a noticeable difference is there between it and a harbor freight hammer with a properly dressed/treated hickory handle and face? I do feel a noticeable difference between my HF cross-peen and a my Heller Brothers cross-peen both are the same weight and shape, but I personally feel that difference is how they "feel" in the handle, as the heller bros. just seems to be a better handle to head match. 

I like to think it's more important that younger smiths understand ergo-dynamics has more to do with proper hammering technique, and how to properly dress their handles and hammer faces to fit "their specifics" and what "feels" comfortable. To say that something is universally "out of the box" ergo-dynamic just doesn't make any sense to me be it that we're all built different, have different physical characteristics, and furthermore move differently. 

Pattern specifics are a different subject entirely. I see more of a benefit to the heavier rounding hammers as the pattern yields more of a functional advantage (both in weight and variations of radius). 

Again this is a noob perspective on the matter. Maybe when I get a few decades of seasoning I can provide something that warrants a little more weight in the argument.

HI folks, for those of you who dont know im the person who posted the origianl post about the "ergonomical" "Czech" or "Hofi"style hammer way back at the end of 2011.

For some reason i was or at least felt attacked on few different fronts so this caused me to become defensive but in my opinion not out of line. and for a while after even had to have all my posts "cleared" by a moderator for some reason.

I tryied to post that the hammer was deemed defective, and was replaced. not only that but i was givin a free roundeing hammer out of generosity from the both the smith and the tool compony who acted as the middle man. This solidified what upstanding people i was dealing with and will not hesitate to do business i the future or to refer them to a family or friends. but i could not do this because the post was shut down over the debates that were going on, for some reason. and also many of my other post's and re-ply to posts just would not get cleard by the moderator. so shortly after that i never really got back on this site, but today i was here and saw this post and just wanted to jump in and say whats on my mind.

I do apologize for getting a hit heated about the whole Uri thing, and the post was totally overtaken an steered in the wrong direction.

the origianl purpose for the post was to see what other smiths opinion's were about THE HAMMER and if it being a 1/4 inch or so off kilter is what made it feel weird.

when my replacement finally arived i could tell a big difference, and its now my #1 used hammer.

'jeremy k', on 25 Jan 2012 - 12:21, said:snapback.png

I went back and reviewed the other thread- http://www.iforgeiro...__fromsearch__1 - the original post mentions an ergo hammer that had an offset eye he got from Peih tool. His next post (post #3) was that he hoped the exchange one is perfectly balanced. That leads me to believe his problem was solved at that point. Then other people started riding him for dissing Hofi and it all snowballed from there. He did not even bring up Hofi or Stumptown though he did have an opinion stated after a lot of badgering by others. I am not surprised he is not here on this thread.
r smith

thanks for pointing that out for me and everyone else Mr. Smith

Hans138 This is a general explanation so please do not take it any other way.

We encourage a discussion as long as there is an exchange of information and things do not get personal. We use moderation, which is simply a delay in posting while a moderator reviews the post, to slow things down when the need arises. We try to let a thread run it's course but sometimes it is best to close the thread and end the discussion. 

With most issues, we suggest the two sides get together and talk.  A personal conversation will usually solve the problem. While this is happening we feel it should not be discussed in public as the public is not involved.

I am glad you got things worked out to your satisfaction.

I appreciate your posting and letting us know the final details.

• 4 weeks later...

no problem glen, i hope no ones feelings were hurt or ego's brusied..

i have no personal problems with mr hofi and at the time of the original posting i really only knew him through his hammers (wich i was surprised to see so many diff thoughts both negative and positive), and few other bits of misleading info. we're all friends here righ? ;)

• 7 months later...