I Forge Iron

Show me what you make with Your BB hearts

Farmer Phil asked some questions about how I had positioned a rose in a heart in a previous post,

post-816-0-24226300-1326925196_thumb.jpg

so thought it would be an idea to see what others have done and where they have used theirs.

This is what I turned mine into,

A Candleholder for a 3"diameter church candle.

post-816-0-97692200-1326925224_thumb.jpg

and some details of the assembly

post-816-0-00022500-1326925417_thumb.jpg post-816-0-42769000-1326925298_thumb.jpg post-816-0-45967600-1326925375_thumb.jpg

and with its slippers fitted so it can rest easy and non scratch

post-816-0-07208200-1326925483_thumb.jpg post-816-0-61428200-1326926842_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Mr Brazeall for the idea, and also to the moderators for getting the pic fixing attachment sorted.

That sure looks sweet John. Did you punch or drill the mortise in the V of the heart? If you punched it, how did you go about it? Also, how tricky was it riveting the tenon? Was the heart already completely shaped when both the mortise was made and the tenon riveted? I see the shoulders of the tenon set down in and take the shape of the V of the heart, which I presume holds the post fast so it won't pivot. Did you just seat it hot such that it took the shape of the V?

That is a great ensemble! You got three of the greatest and most ephemeral archetypes in one piece--a heart, a rose and a flame--rendered in one of the most solid and physical of all Earthly substances--iron/steel! Volumes of esoterica could be written about that, if they haven't been already!

Thanks Phil, This piece sort of evolved from a piece of 5/8"diameter bar using Mr Brazealls suggestions for making a heart,

I then had demoe'd a copper rose which was lying around doing nothing so I thought it would look good in the heart frame,

Options available were to weld it in place, or rivet it on front/back/centre

Decided I wanted it to be in the corner on the centreline of the piece for balance.

So I made a short stem that would have a tenon on one end, and an eye on the other for the rose to fit to and it should place the rose as a central feature in the heart.

This also meant I could remove and refit the rose as necessary.

I drilled and countersunk a hole in the heart's corner as I liked the crisp line appearance that would have been difficult to maintain if I had punched it, and dressed of the burrs produced on the inside corner with a small threesquare file.

I then made the stem, eye end first, then roughed the tenon at the length I wanted, and whilst the tenon end still hot, seated it into the hole from the inside, usint the heart as a monkey tool to set down the tenon's shoulder, this shoulder also stops the stem being susceptible to turning or coming loose when rivetted in situ,

When I was happy with the fit, I heated it again and rivetted it into position, then dressed down the rivetted size to blend in.

I managed to hold the stem in the leg vice whilst rivetting and monkeying.

Any final alignment can be done with the torch and local heat.

The fitting to the candleholder is another story.

thats lovely john, very cool way of attaching the rose, it looks great. your description detailed and easy to understand too as usual, thats a good way to show a rose, ie not in the Vase scenario... for mrs john for valentines day??? :)