I Forge Iron

Welding/work table

I've done a bit of MIG welding, but am going to take a MIG welding class at a nearby community college. I want to build a table (4' x 8') to put in my blacksmith shop. I plan on putting rollers on the legs (4 or 6 legs?), and want to have a lower shelf (full sized) for storage, maybe something to hold tools along the end, maybe a leg vice, etc. For the top, I would like a heavy plate (how heavy, I don't know - up to 1"). Suggestions, please.

1" is probably overkill (of course, it depends on what you want to make). I have two 4x8 tables and both have 1/4" tops, which I would concede is somewhat light, but I would never go heavier than 1/2" unless I was doing really BIG work. The important thing is to put enough steel in the table frame and get that part dead flat, then all you have to do is tack the top in place.

I agree with 1/2" as a minimum. I would bolt the top down to keep it from warping.

Bolts are one way.....my 4x10x3/4 is on tp of two I beams and I welded it to the beams with a MINIMUM of welds to prevent warping and hold it down..........I knew a guy who welded a 4'x8'x1'' plate to 8x8'' legs 12'' in on the corners all the way around the tube and it ruined the table.........ouch!

I agree with everyone else here. Heavier is better. Your support frame is very inportant if you are going to go with a lighter plate. Build it stout. How ever I would suggest not putting a shelf underneath. They always end up being a catch all. If you really want one, use expanded metal for the shelf material. This will help keep the scale, dirt and grinding debree from building up.

When I built the base for my platen table, I put drawers under the table. Occasionally they are in the way and because they are plywood they occasionally catch fire but I wouldn't be without them. They hold a lot of my miscellaneous tools such as drifts, v blocks, swages, wire brushes and special hammer dies.

• 2 months later...

I'm in the middle of building the table. 4' by 8', 3/4" steel top surface sitting on 6 , 4" by 4" steel tube legs (1/4" walls) and a 4" (1/4" wall) angle iron frame. The two center legs will also have a 4" tube brace running across the underside of the table surface. The legs are all to be fitted with 6" steel casters (two with brakes). The underside will also have a 4" angle iron frame sitting near the bottom of the framework with ma braced expanded metal shelf. A vice will be fastened to one corner and a tool rack will be welded along one edge. The table will probably weigh in at about 1200 pounds and everything except the top surface will be painted stove blackl.

Go to bearhill blacksmith and click on shop tour. Best shop ideas I have seen. I am copying his table with the sliding extensions right now. If anyone tackles this here is a hint. 2" OD 1/4" wall square tube will slide nicely inside 2 1/2" OD 1/4" wall square tube EXCEPT for the welding slag inside the seam of the large tube. I milled a 3/8" wide x 1/8" deep channel in the 2" tube to clear the weld and it works fine. I vote for a 1" table top.

Thicker is better in regard the table top but weight is also a consideration if you don't have a way to move the table about. A steel plate table, 4' x 8', at .625 in thick, with tubular uprights and framing will run to @ 700- 750 LBS. Cost is another consideration, bigger is better but it is also more expensive, particularly true when buying plate.

As a design suggestion, try to incorporate 2 in sockets on the sides and the ends of your table. The sockets will allow you to mount tooling (vices, bending posts, surface extensions etc) on plane and next to the table. A very versitile design that has served our shop well. I got this idea after seeing the set up at the Bear Hill Blacksmith shop in NH. Again, watch the weight, moving around a 1000 lb table is not all that easy. Good luck with your project.

Peter

post-3252-0-37416100-1333030662_thumb.jp

• 4 years later...

Table is built, as specified.  The expanded metal "shelf" about half way to the floor is set in 2" angle iron.  The table weighs in the neighborhood of 1600 lbs, but rolls easily when the steel casters are unlocked.  Have a large post vise welded to the table.  Moved it from Colorado to Oregon with little trouble.  Shop here coming together.  Next purchase will be a plasma cutter and large compressor..  The present shop is 16' x 20' with a 16' by 8' covered porch.

• 1 month later...

Seems to be a knock-off of Strong Hand tables, but without the depth of tooling available. I do applaud a small fab company for venturing out into the market in a new direction, though. I am seeing a lot of innovation lately.

The EPA and health regs pretty much pushed the heavy cast iron table manufacturers overseas before costs pushed everyone else there. They are still plentiful on the used tool market. They often go for scrap because they weigh several tons and are a pain to move.

More recently, shipping costs have killed manufactured heavy plate tables for most shops. The smaller, lighter, precision cut and ribbed tables seem to be the new standard.

Those new light weight tables are good for tig or light mig not much room for them in a heavy metal shop.

All my tables are 1" thick.

Still I tack to them sparingly and chisel off the tacks and go way out of my way to clamp instead using old men or even drilling and tapping.

Tacking and grinding has ruined many 1" tick tops given enough years.

2" would not be overkill at all.

Only my acorn table has stayed  flat forever.