I Forge Iron

Anyone in alabama finding coal?

I have to do some travelling to get coal sometimes but the other day a lightbulb went off in my head. (yes it was only a 5 watt bulb) I called to a local fuel oil distributor and asked if they ever had coal. They said yes a long long time ago but it is gone now. I could come and look around the back lot if I wanted. I did and scrapped up about 150 lbs of coal from along a fence. There is still more there! They said I could come back any time I wanted and there was no cost.
The owner said that he didn't know how good it was since it was @ 60 yrs old. :P Old coal.
Burns good and clean.

I went back and gave the owner a nice steak turner and horseshoe hat rack. He was thrilled. I was thrilled. All it cost was, well, nothing!

When you are looking for something and you can't see it because the bushes are in the way, look under the bushes.

Mark <><

Here is some info I have on coal.

Paul Pierce Auto Paint and Body - 1924 jefferson ave SW in Bham
(205) 925-3454
1924 Jefferson Ave SW
Birmingham, AL 35211 33.477 -86.8693
Powderly Coal Co
Serving the Birmingham Area.
(205) 925-3454
Debbie
--------------------------------
Hwy 5 by the truckload - 205-893-7223 - North West of Jasper between Navuu and natural bridge Bham caol and coake. Lynn Alabama
130 a ton lump coal and stoker coal -
pickup at the pit in Navuu
----------------

There is also Moore Coal Company
Moore Coal Company, Inc.
129 North 4th Street
Bessemer, AL 35020
Phone: (205) 424-2705
Fax: (205) 424-2707

It is just lump, so you'll have to do some sizing, but it cokes well. We seem to get less clinker in it than we do from the coal we use at the forge council.

Perfect! They have coal for 10.50 per 100 pounds. Gonna go get a load in the morning. Woot!

Hey Mike! I stopped by Moore Coal this morning to see what they had. It looks pretty good although they could not tell me much about it. I took a chunk of it with me and will throw it in the forge and see how it burns and if it stinks too bad. we are looking to get some more for Tannehill Forge and may even start selling it again... who knows.
Moore is selling theirs at $12.00 if you pick through it and $10.00 if they load it for you (per 100 lbs.)

• 3 years later...

I'm going to check with Moore coal and see how there stuff burns. I tried the Alabama forge council that meets at tannehill state park, no one there would help, they all had coal but didn't know where to get it. They seemed to be a little click of friends that could care less on helping me or anyone new wanting to find anvil's, tools, or anything to help get into the blacksmithing trade. I will never waste my time and money to go up there again. I will just stick to getting things done on my own, and learning from YouTube like I have been.

I'm going to check with Moore coal and see how there stuff burns. I tried the Alabama forge council that meets at tannehill state park, no one there would help, they all had coal but didn't know where to get it. They seemed to be a little click of friends that could care less on helping me or anyone new wanting to find anvil's, tools, or anything to help get into the blacksmithing trade. I will never waste my time and money to go up there again. I will just stick to getting things done on my own, and learning from YouTube like I have been.

Where are you from? There are plenty of other options for AFC meetings. When I went to my first meeting I had to go around and introduce myself and find the guys who were a little more open and willing to talk. 

One of the local guys here gets his from Moore coal and I got a little from him to try and I like it. I can't say what the prices are off the top of my head.

Edited by M Cochran

I get mine from Sidney Lee Welding in Douglasville. Good clean burning coal and I think it was $16 a bag last year. You do need to call a day or so in advance in case they need to ship some in from another store. You can also get some from Buck Ice and Coal out of Columbus, Ga. It isn't as good as the other but it would be better than not forging and it was a little cheaper when I bought it from there a few years ago. 

That's where I went, seemed no one wanted to help and didn't want to talk much.

Please understand that we have a lot of people come to see the park and mosey on over to just stand around. Did you introduce yourself? Make a point to talk to anyone there? Ask for Jim Hestle, he's the forge master. Come, bring your hammer, a chair, notepad, lunch and open your eyes and ears and don't be a stranger. They really are a great group.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/13/2012 at 10:30 AM, Unforgivun said:

There is also Moore Coal Company
Moore Coal Company, Inc.
129 North 4th Street
Bessemer, AL 35020
Phone: (205) 424-2705
Fax: (205) 424-2707

It is just lump, so you'll have to do some sizing, but it cokes well. We seem to get less clinker in it than we do from the coal we use at the forge council.

Old thread I know, but is Moore still selling coal?

I have just gotten into this craft and need to find a source for some coal. I did join the AlaForge council and have attended several meets already. Sadly most of the guys get their coal by the ton, I need it by the 100lbs ☹. I did manage to buy a 150lbs Peter Wright with a stand from one of the guys there for $150! They are a great bunch of folks like others have said, you just need to introduce yourself and let them know you are really interested.

12 hours ago, Shaun Arman said:

Old thread I know, but is Moore still selling coal?

I have just gotten into this craft and need to find a source for some coal. I did join the AlaForge council and have attended several meets already. Sadly most of the guys get their coal by the ton, I need it by the 100lbs ☹. I did manage to buy a 150lbs Peter Wright with a stand from one of the guys there for $150! They are a great bunch of folks like others have said, you just need to introduce yourself and let them know you are really interested.

I think Moore was where one of our guys was getting his coal. I'd call and ask if they still sell before driving out there. Depending on your location you should also check out ABC Coke in Tarrant/Birmingham. I talked to a salesman a couple years ago and was able to get a sample of it to see if I liked it before I bought it. A word of caution, coke burns really hot. 

• 2 years later...