I Forge Iron

Easy punches and top tools

This method is as old as the hills I was introduced to it by Peter Ross, Jay Close and Jymm Hoffman. It has several advantages over hand held tools and handled tools. The tongs are forged to hold 1/2" square on the diamond rigidly. I also have a pair of tongs to hold 5/8" square. This allows easy indexing of the tool It is very easy to change tools and lock in with a small tong clip. They are also light and easy to handle for quick work with hot steel. I made my punches from 5160 (pandrol clips) steel and use as forged. For production work I move up to S7 or H13 and heat treat. I lube my punches and slitters with a paste of graphite and grease and a pinch of coal dust here and there. I use flat faced punches for the most part. In addition to round, square, and slot punches I also have made slitting chisels, butchers, side chisels small fullers and stamps. It is a very flexible system it keeps your hand safe and away from the work.

Shorter tools are easier to drive because they have less mass.
Shorter tools are more rigid and less prone to flexing.
Shorter tools require less steel therefor easier, quicker, cheaper to make.

post-2348-0-30878900-1325992592_thumb.jp

post-2348-0-65887400-1325992606_thumb.jp

post-2348-0-19021100-1325992660_thumb.jp

That makes so much sense, thanks Tim. I have never liked the idea of a round shanked punch held in tongs because it is tough to twist the punch to loosen it. I am going to make a pair or two of those tongs for some square shanked punches and chisels.

Every now and again I set the hossfeld up and bend a bunch of handles for top tools so that I have one ready if I need to make a new top tool, but this is better for lots of tools and it will save me digging out the welding helmet and starting up the welder.

It's a good method; I started doing this about 20 years ago after seeing a Robb Gunter demo. It's much easier to make this type of design without having to drift holes and make handles as needed for traditional set tools. I only have 4 set tools with wooden handles but probably 100 tools made for tong use. I also have 15-20 tong clips hanging on a nail for ready clamping - instant vise grips. You can make a dozen or so tongs like this and have all the chisels/punches set up for a particular job at your fingertips, then swap out for a different requirement in a few seconds.

It's also a good way to use HC rail spikes as they are already a good size and square in section; they aren't the best material for hot work but much better than mild steel. A bucket of spikes and a few tongs will keep a smith in top tools for a long time.

I/ve said it before, and you'll probably hear it again - "this place is like drinking from a fountain of knowlege"
thanks for the great Idea. I have been out to Peter Ross's place a couple of times and never really paid enough attention to his top-tool tongs