I Forge Iron

moving things around

FieryFurnace

With the addition of the Clay Spencer tire hammer I had to move things around a bit. I don't really like the position of the forge much, but for now I have to live with that. I switched the location of the anvil and vise. So far I like the change but I need to wire a receptical to my vise for grinding purposes. So here is the main work station.

DSC03609.jpg
John B. had said I needed to tighten up the work space. The anvil and vise are closer to the forge now. I am wanting to move the air hammer (the big red one,) closer as well.

We got the tire hammer on the concrete pad I poured for it last week. We put two, 8-foot boards down as a ramp up to the concrete pad. The planks were well supported beneath, and then dad and I used four 1-inch rollers to roll the hammer onto the concrete pad. I still need to anchor it down!

DSC03608.jpg

That's how it stands right now!

Hi Dave, That's looking better,
Are you intending to leave the tyre hammer in that position, or to swivel it round to face the forge?

Then if you slide your vice to the right a tad (looking at the picture) you won't have to walk so far from your heat source to work under the tyre hammer.

FF think about cementing a slightly larger piece of pipe in the ground and then slipping your vise pipe into it with say one bolt below grade to keep it from turning. That way you can remove the vise and drop in a cover if you need the clear space for a large project.

I'm going to go that way only using structural sq tubing so I can avoid the twisting issue. I may out several receivers into the shop floor and move vises at will.

FF think about cementing a slightly larger piece of pipe in the ground and then slipping your vise pipe into it with say one bolt below grade to keep it from turning. That way you can remove the vise and drop in a cover if you need the clear space for a large project.

I'm going to go that way only using structural sq tubing so I can avoid the twisting issue. I may out several receivers into the shop floor and move vises at will.

Excellent idea! I have some 5-inch quarter wall square piping I was going to use! Just need to find a piece to fit inside of that!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! You've come a long way! Looking good! Only thing I can add is if you are using your anvil as shown you may want to try turning it 90 degrees from the forge instead of the 180 you show now. When I started the old timer had it set up that way, too, and so I worked that way for a few years. Then I took Frank Turleys class and he set them up at 90's. What a difference! Instead of you turning 180 degrees from the forge to the anvil and back all day it's a simple side step between the anvil and forge. What a time saver and heat saver. A lot easier to get those tricky forge welds done with that set up. Ideally you should have a close triangle between the forge, anvil and vise/powerhammer. Keep in mind that any long pieces of metal should miss the other equipment when turning and working with it.

I've attached my shop layout to see how I work.

I hope this helps.

post-1310-0-95424300-1327415637_thumb.jp

Only thing I can add is if you are using your anvil as shown you may want to try turning it 90 degrees from the forge instead of the 180 you show now. When I started the old timer had it set up that way, too, and so I worked that way for a few years. Then I took Frank Turleys class and he set them up at 90's. What a difference! Instead of you turning 180 degrees from the forge to the anvil and back all day it's a simple side step between the anvil and forge. What a time saver and heat saver.

Yes i have my anvil at about 70-90 degrees from my gasser at a distance of about 2', stock travel to the anvil is minimal.