I Forge Iron

RIP Grant Sarver

monstermetal

I heard via a phone call this evening and am still pretty stunned. He was one of those who I'd read just because he wrote it. I learned something every time he posted, even if it was a bad joke. When I was in the early stages of recovering from my accident he provided me some much needed good cheer by starting a thread poking fun at me. It was a first step towards normalcy and I dearly needed it. He was on my "Must visit" list and now I have memories and you to swap stories with.

Prayers are on the way and tonight I hoist a brew and toast him.

See ya on the other side Bro.
Frosty the Lucky.

Very sad news indeed. Grant was a fount of knowledge, made darn good blacksmithing tools, and had quite the sense of humor. He sent me a pair of tongs for free just to help me out when I was starting out blacksmithing at age 15 and started asking questions on the old Winikoff's Virtual Junkyard forum, some 14 years ago. He will be geatly missed in the blacksmithing community, certainly.

Someone once wrote ( and I am sorry if I miss quote )......

"Every time a Blacksmith passes, a library is lost"

Grant was the Library of Congress. That much smithing knowledge is rarer than hens teeth. It's a tragic loss for his family and the blacksmithing community.

I was just thinking of him this afternoon while at the forge. The tuyere design he suggested for me was working well even with some so-so grade coal. I was grateful for his help.

RIP, Grant.

Thoughts and prayers to the family, My Father went the same way some years ago now, another unexpected shock

Never met Grant except on various websites, but still held him and his contributions in great esteem, he will be misssed, but whilst we are still working and passing on the knowledge we have learnt from him, and the tools he made are still being used, he will go on contributing to the craft for many years to come, probably the nearest that can achieved to immortality.

We salute you Grant and the anvil will be rung in your honour.

Sad news indeed. Thoughts and Prayers from all of us at FireHouse Ironworks and the Cape Breton Blacksmiths Association.
Never got a chance to meet the man in person just on the phone and via email. Always very helpful and a wealth of information.
He will be missed. RIP Grant.

I'm still in shock. I keep expecting him to answer the next post. What has been lost can not be measured. Where will this knowledge come from now?

I am deeply saddened. Blessings to him and his family and appreciation for all he has shared with us for all of these years.

Man-o-man that is sad news. :( Grant was one of great people who freely shared his knowledge. I was one who would read his posts because you never knew what you were going to learn, even bad jokes from time to time :D. He was one of the reasons this and other forums were a pleasure to read.
I had the pleasure of meeting him at the CBA spring conference in Ferndale a couple years ago.
RIP Grant, you are missed here. :(
smith out

The respect being shown here is a statement to how much he was appreciated, and how he will be missed. I had a daydream one time of getting together with him and Frosty and telling bad jokes, well I'll just have to hook up in blacksmith heaven I guess. Crap... this sucks!!
I will ring the anvil for him tonight when I get home, in fact I might have a beer in his honor, and tell a bad joke!

Like others have mentioned, I would read a thread just because he had commented on it. He will surely be missed here. I think the display of saddness and grief shown here by so many like myself, who only knew the gentleman on a computer screen, speaks volumns of the man. May he never be forgotten. The anvil will ring in NE Ga., in his honor.

Man, I hate to hear this.

So many of us speak based on theory; Grant spoke based on experience. Ask a question and chances are he had done it.

He'll surely be missed.

Let's all remember that the next blow of our hammer could be our last... make 'em all count.

Very few men will ever acheive the levels of knowledge Grant did, even fewer will give that knowledge away so freely, with such grace. I tried to read all he wrote, and was never dissapointed at the no nonsence way he approached a new problem, or would show how he overcame this or that issue in the past.

He made a lot of it look easy (effortless), now thats somthing that only a person with a lifetime of skill, at the top of his game can do.

Me and David (youngdylan) were itching to get induction heaters a couple of years ago in the UK and diddnt know where to start, We were conversing with Grant by email on and off for a couple of months and we were happy to buy from Grant ( OCP ) , He jokingly answered questions with questions knowing how interested we were in the technology, then one day he just gave us all the information for his suppliers, technical specs, the names of the guys to talk to etc so we could buy direct, with nothing more than a wink and instruction to ask him if we needed any more help. Wouldnt take a dime from us. Just a small example of the mans generosity.

I never met Grant but felt like I had, and am deeply saddened that I never will.

Rest in peace Grant.