I Forge Iron

RIP Grant Sarver

monstermetal

Like all the rest, I sat in utter disbelief after reading this horrible news. I fell in love with Grant's tongs years ago, and have an induction forge that he provided and most graciously fixed when it started not working. So many questions he answered... and for me, just the thought that if I ever had a really tough question, he was there waiting in the wings... so sad... I shall definitely add my voice to virtual chorus of celebration for his life today.

I was disappionted I could not attend Grants service due to work. I am glad to hear it was well attended. I got a call from a good blacksmith friend and we talked for a long time about Grants impact here in the North West. and blacksmithing in general. As a relatively new blacksmith he was one of the handful of Smith's that mentored me. When I attended my first conference Grant was the first one to greet me and he gave me advice saying that I should have my gear ready to go and tell everyone that I was a new Smith and willing to learn. I was able to do a lot at that conference because of his advice. I will miss having him at the conferences as I'm sure everyone will.

I traveled for three days to meet the man at his behest! No regrets there! Worth every penny! When I got to Mt.Hood, Grants truck had hit a snag so we spent a lot of time together (relativley speaking of course) he oft. side tracked me with interesting titbits and sights to see! A generous and good soul! R.I.P. Our Friend and mentor. May God grant you and yours Peace!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Although I am new to this forum and many people have already said so much I would like to send my condolences to his friends and family as well as all the people whose lives he touched. When I was down in southern California at a demo for the CBA I was introduced to his tongs and when I came home I found out about the induction forges he sold... His reach was truly amazing and a true measure of the man... I just want to say thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I first met Grant in the Summer of 1976. My first shop was near the Gas Works park in Seattle. He wandered in one afternoon and introduced himself. I liked him right off the bat. He was one of the most infectiously upbeat people I've ever known. We worked together off and on for about 6 years. For awhile we shared a shop in Interbay. One of the things I really enjoyed was his energy and how he'd work several steps ahead of himself and sometimes have to back out and get creative about saving the job. So many times I'd think that the only solution was to start over. But not Grant. He always came up with fixes. It got so I'd wait for him to get stuck just to see what he'd come up with next. We lost track of each other but I found OCP and called him a couple of years ago. I'm really glad we got a chance to reconnect if only briefly. Of course my heart goes out to his family and many friends. 64 is way too young.