I Forge Iron

side or top burner?

Old South Creations

I'm going to build a small fire brick propane forge and I'm debating whether to put the burner on top or on the side. I was going to put it on top (because that's how most of the forges I have seen are built) but I heard some arguments that might not be the best idea...any suggestions? I'm either going to use a venturi or a z burner from Zoeller.

Top vs side? For your first forge, pick one and run with it. You will be rebuilding the forge at some point anyways. I do recommend staying with a single burner of a smallish volume though, design the floor as a single common firebrick with 2 inches of ceramic wool around the top and sides, 1 inch under the brick opening in the back, maybe up one side for wide items...

Once you get one working properly, building another is easy.

Phil

Top seems to be less safe as convection after you shut the forge down can heat the parts a LOT.

Also top burners have the possibility to recycle exhaust fumes as hot gasses travel up after leaving the opening---recycling exhaust increases CO production a lot.

Most of the forges I have seen have had the burners on the side.