I Forge Iron

Anyone tried to use Insulating blanket on edge?

kraythe

Just considering some insulating options for the new forge and I was wondering if anyone has ever used blankets on edge. So imagine you were making a cylinder force and instead of wrapping the blanket around the shell, you cut it perfectly to size and stack it up so that the edge is the closest to the heat rather than the flat of the blanket.

In case you are wondering why not wrap it, I just might, but it would be easier given the shape of my new forge (which isn't a cylinder) if I could cut the blanket for the shape.

This has been mentioned before. Wear PPE, you are going to generate a lot of nasty dust. It will be itchy too.

Phil

Really Phil? I searched and couldn't find the thread. Can you clue me in with a link?

And I abandoned the nasty stuff ages ago. I use the safe stuff. I still wear a respirator when working with it.

I have not done it but Kaowool is often accordion folded in industrial applications. When I replace the rigid board in the top of my forge I am going to replace it that way.

Yeah I considered the pleated option. I don't know if that counts as on edge since it is folded.

I am not finding references easily.

I was using a piece on edge to block the back door of my forge before, with the cut wool to the heat, and had no problems with the insulation. I do not do that anymore though. My forge is so small that closing the back entirely makes it heat less evenly. The piece I was using was best called scrap. I did this because someone mentioned it (LOL! Chat room maybe?)

I did notice the edge expanded some after a few firings, sorta like the material fluffed a bit. I did coat it with my home made coating (zircopax and kaolin).

Phil