I Forge Iron

Unknown Hammer, Opinions Please

Hi Folks, I'm a brit living in France and blacksmith as a hobby, whilst looking through the local classified I found this power hammer being advertised locally to me http://www.leboncoin...7470.htm?ca=6_s

The ad only states that it is working but requires a new belt. For 200 Euros it seems like a good purchase and I think it is a commercial model. Before I go and have a look, the opinions of you guys would be very welcome, what do think?

Thanks
Guy

Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking. Good to get a confirmation.

Also found this complete setup on the same site, not for me as I am already setup but the hammer looks superb (middle photo). Wonder if he would split...

Second thoughts I'll use it as the "bait and switch" with my wife for the first one.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/268305989.htm?ca=6_s

That's some neat equipment there. I've looked at lots of hammers but never seen one like either of those.

I'm guessing the first one is home built! It looks like it may be a bit light, but you can always modify if it is. Like everyone else said....jump on it.

We are expecting more pictures when you get it home! ;)

Sadly the vendor had sold it but not removed the ad... it's still on there last time I looked!

I thought initially that it was a home brew job, but having studied that picture I suspect it was actually a Le Tyro - French make (first came out in 1950's) with the side panels removed. The motor config, hammer mech, size and layout led me to that conclusion. All up the machine only weighs 400kg so I suspect the construction would look a little DIY or flimsy without the side panels.

Like many of us I am on a tight budget, there's only so much cash to be spent on my hobby so I think I will carry on looking for a Tyro but a cheap one I can bring back up to scratch. Couple of interesting units came onto that site recently but their too big and too rich for my blood - good to see they are being sold on though rather than going to scrap. Love this 30kg Champion (second picture) hope some one buys it.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/materiel_professionnel/136604536.htm?ca=6_s

The Champion has been there for al least two years, the €/pound of falling weight ratio is prohibitive... You can buy a new one with a 10lbs heavier ram for nearly the same price 'chez AREF', give them a call, they rebuild old machinery and have way more than what is one their web-site ;)
It's sad for the Champion, it's a nice machine...

Your clearly on the ball Mike, Chapeau!

I will retire to my workshop and keep one eye on the small ad's.

If you see a tyro come up for reasonable money in Brittany, please shout.

Happy new year / Bonne Année

Guy

Two in Brittany on leboncoin right now.