I Forge Iron

Michigan Blacksmithing Coal

Alright I've looked a few times on IFI for good blacksmithing coal in Michigan but can't really find a good answer. If you live in Michigan, where do you get your coal from and how much do they charge? Even if you live in Ohio near the border, that'll work too.

Thanks guys,
Chad

Larry Carrigan of MI Artist Blacksmith Org (MABA) has some in Rives Junction. Chad, Think about joining MABA, Tim and Larry's ad's are in the paper. Also there are others that meet that get their coal other places, and I'm sure they would be glad to share their locations where they get it. One guy gets his somewhere in Detroit, but I think its coke not coal. Seeing you're on the boarder, Ohio has at least 2 organizations, SOFA (Southern Ohio Forge & Anvil) being the biggest I've been to. Or just show up at a meeting and ask questions. Great bunch of people with a LOT more talent than I've got.

What about this place in Ohio called Dennis Farms? I was thinking about heading down there today to grab some. I have to call in the morning to see if they have it in bags or if I have to drive a truck down there but a few places on the net refer to that place as having really good soft coal.

Thanks for all the other advice though I appreciate it and I'll look into joining MABA. Are they pretty welcoming to newbies? Thanks again

Chad

Hey Chad, Most of us were newbies (once). I was nervous the first time but found out that it's just a bunch of people that share the same common interests. we have people who are Professional smiths all the way down to real newbies, people with big equipment down to people with a brake drum forge, hammer and an anvil shaped object (ASO), we even have people with no tools that like to just come and watch. Being prejudiced, I think we have one of the best newsletters out there too. I spent 2 years as a member before I went to a meeting, before that all I did was read the newsletter. We meet all over the state so I don't always make it to every meeting or sometimes we share rides. Several members live close to the Detroit / Ann Arbor area, so you should be able to make it to some meetings. If you have more questions you can PM me or find me on facebook (on the anvil blacksmithing). Hope you find your coal!

• 2 years later...

Cummings-Moore Graphite Co. is in Detroit and has coke. 313-841-1615 After that? Might try the place listed above in Flint.

Nearer to ya is Noble's 8 mile landscape supply, B & W Landscape, and Derricks Appliance Repair, all in the Detroit Area, although I couldn't tell ya if what they have is the good stuff or anthracite.

If all else fails find a farrier supply. They often carry coal. Chesterfield Farrier Supply is near you, (586) 749-3511.