I Forge Iron

Japanese Box Bellows

Big Lake Forge

They work well....do put the glass on the bottom...I did not and after several years it is a bit harder to move.
I had a local cabinet maker do two..note the double rods not the single which Dano has in the blueprint.
They work well, but Dano has another design with double inlet/outlet ports that seems to work better, though not traditional.

Mine are here second from last photo:
http://www.doorcountyforgeworks.com/From_Dirt_to_Dagger_Video.html

Ric

I initially researched other methods of bellows construction. Even a bellows plan for developing countries. Since car tires don't normally use inner-tubes today, I found that "easy" plan to be untenable. As WmHorus stated, "The Craft of the Japanese Sword", provides the information needed to construct a box bellows. Don't be hung up on a particular size. Once you understand the principles, build it to the size you need. Mine is 41 inches(L) X 14 inches(W) [ plus 5 inches for the manifold] X 23 1/2 inches(H). The piston has a gasket made from a beach towel. I used a length of mirror glued to the floor and the sides were old table tops that were faced with some formica-like material.

If I were to make another one, I would use two piston rods instead of one. It produces an amazing amount of air, but not having used anything else, I don't know how it compares to anything else. Like any bellows, I suppose, you have the ability to control it to an amazing degree. I find that my forge gets up to forging temps with wood alone. I haven't used charcoal yet, but believe that with that addition, I would be able to forge weld. The japanese sword smiths did.

The only drawback is that I use a lot of energy just tending the fire. It has allowed me to understand fire management somewhat. I do think that my bellows is on the large size, and that it could have been a tad smaller.

Robert

• 5 years later...