I Forge Iron

What do you think of this southern crescent anvil?

I was considering going to look at this one this weekend. This guy said its a southern crescent anvil at 150lbs and wants $400. I never did try to negotiate down. Tell me what you think.
I live in Alabama.
Measurements are 11"H x 4" W x 22.5" L

AnvilSide.jpg
securedownload-1-1.jpg

It is a casting with fairly decent edges on it. It is a "painted lady" so damage may be hidden. The shape screams "cast iron" to me, but I have no experience with that brand. If it is a real anvil with proper rebound (use a ball bearing and do a drop test, minimum 50% rebound from 10 inches or walk away) then you can talk price. I think he is asking way too much because you are in an area that should have readily available top quality anvils.

Phil

Seems a bit much for a working anvil, $2.67/#, for a Southern Crescent collectors anvil it may be low. I don't know what else he has on hand but I ask if he has any thing else for around $2.50/#. Having them all painted can hide a lot of faults but so can a heavy layer of rust and mud. Take a hammer with you so you can hear the sound of the anvil, it should have a good solid sound to it. No visible cracks or bondo repairs to it, all things that can be hidden with a paint job. I sold my wrought iron anvil to Harold for $2/# and I think it was a fair price for it, I guess he did too as he smoked the ground getting it in his truck before I could ask for more.
That sure looks like a Vulcan and perhaps the edges of the hard face have been rewelded so check out for sure what it looks like in person. I don't know that I'd spend that much money on it.

I would keep looking as it does appear to have repairs, at least to me anyways. If you look in the top pic you can see some voids which look like multi-layered welding passes that the weldor did not fully cover. It also looks like the left edge in the 2nd pic has be ground with small voids left in the welded areas. Paint hides this. If they were chips then they would be on the top edge of the face plate, not in the middle of the plate. It also appears that the guy like black paint as all of the anvils in the background are painted. As mentioned above, take a hammer and LISTEN to the anvil, you can detect/hear thunks which indicate that there is a problem with the face. Tap the ENTIRE face, every square inch of it. If there is a problem you will be able to hear a difference. Rebound should be way better than 50%, If I don't get at least 80% I will walk away. I probably would on this one anyway as it is 'suspect' to me and, IMHO, he is asking too much for it. I turned down a 225# cast iron anvil with a steel face and the guy wanted $150.00 for it, just didn't have the rebound I thought it should. I guess I'm kinda picky, but my $$ comes hard for me. Do check the others tho, heck, the guy may just like Black Anvils! :D

After most of what all you have said I don't want to bother with this one anymore and wait on something else. To go look at it would be a 2 hour drive one way. I do appreciate you all taking to the time comment.

Thanks
Larry

I was thinking the same thing that Bentiron said. It looks very much like a Vulcan. I, too, think that the price is too high for that one. I'd ask if he has any others that he'd consider selling, while you're there. As Phil said, do the rebound test on them and don't just "settle" for any anvil. For that money, get a good one. :)

there are a few topics on here that show a southern crescent anvil in them. Take a look at "show me your anvil" around page 6. The anvil was made like a fisher with a hard steel top plate and a cast body. It might make for a quieter anvil. 2 hours one way is a haul for just a look at 1 anvil but just throwing out more info to you.

remember when doing a hammer test on a cast anvil like a vulcan it may not have a ring to it. but should still have good rebound.
the vulcan i have is very quite compared to my trenton and kolshwa. the research i have done on them says that with a cast anvil like a vulcan the quiet ring was to market to the "back yard" smith so the neighbor hood would not have to hear the high ring of a forged steel anvil. matto

Opiy there are anvils to be had in Alabama. When you see them on craigslist you have to act fast as people WILL drive from GA, MS, TN etc to get them. Dunno about $400. for that one, I MIGHT go to $250 if I didn't have an anvil but not with a 2 hour drive involved. Find a forge group. Chances are someone there will have a better anvil for a better deal. A guy in our group sold a 132lb Haybudden in relatively nice shape for $300 the other day. They're out there, trust me.

In the mean time go to the scrapyard and pickup a large chunk of steel. Find an old piece of rail etc. Anything heavy will work to start. It's not ideal, but it works until something else comes along.

One word of advice, when going from that makeshift anvil to something like a haybudden or peterwright, be prepared for your first hammer "miss" to be thrown almost into your face.

Dunno what this is, but would be worth an email
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/atq/2749141794.html

http://montgomery.cr...2748190932.html $2.00 a lb - Looks like an OK setup. I keep wanting to go get it. But that would be admiting I have a problem. I have a 198lb Soderfors and a 125lb Peter Wright ..... I had a 100lb PW and a 220 HayBuden but sold them ..... Stop the madnes :) !!!! Never http://www.ebay.com/...=item256a76f979 They are about for sure :) !!!

Oh yeah and don't forget to ask if they have more stuff as some .... know ;) ... can yield great rewards in the cool blacksmith stuff department !!!