I Forge Iron

Automotive "bling?"

Just wondering if there was anyone out there doing custom smithing for automotive accessories. I've been thinking about a few things I could make from my '79 IH scout, was starting to wonder if there might be a niche market there.. Just a thought anyway.

I've seen some pretty nice forged/fabed material racks done for proclaiming a smith's business and skills....Forged ornaments for the underside a PU like say a pair of fancy....mud flaps would appeal to more ''real men'' than those cheap plastic things.........

I have made several hood ornaments, all dragons with spread wings. First one went on my then 16 year old Daughters art car. Had a Barbie doll with long blonde hair riding the dragon. When the car died the dragon ended up on my 72 chevy truck. The long hair makes a heads up display speedometer:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have for some time now been thinking of making a gear shifter nob from pattern-welded steel for my car, but puzzled if I should try to get the numbers shown in the pattern
its not a problem remembering where each gear is for me, but if some one els should drive it they sorta need to know whats rear-drive and 1,2,3,4,5

• 2 months later...

There's something to be said for adding art to cars and trucks. I was trying to think what would be the coolest hand made thing you could sell to someone for a show car? I'm thinking shift levers and Hood ornaments. there is a huge resurgence in the "rat rods" of the old days. things like shoulder high shift levers with cool ends and wild looking hood emblems and such would get peoples attention. another thing would be rear license plate mounts. and old style scroll work bumpers

Gun racks a problem in MA---where do you store your canes and fishing poles?????

Shifter knob---Mosaic Damascus of course!

Bumpers: watch out for liability issues!

And of course the sub-genre of VW's

http://www.oldbug.com/ironbug.htm
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/artCars/photosWroughtIronVW.shtml

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

LOL- Holy Toledo- that reminds me.

I once had a guy come in my shop and he needed me to forge the hardware for an old convertable top on a car he was restoring. He needed the metal extensions that raise the convertable top. I think the car was a mid 1950's model. He had the right side hardware, but the left side hardware was warped, twisted and beyond repair.

He came in saying I was his last hope, because he had no luck finding a replacement part. I love people who come in and say that.

Anyway, I made the hardware by simply matching a pattern of the undamaged piece and flipped it so it would be a mirror of the good one.

The guy was pretty grateful. I was too, because I charged him out the yin yang for the work. :D