I Forge Iron

Hey guys,
I'm hoping to set up a simple solid fuel forge. I've read that stuff like BBQ coals won't work as fuel. Is there any fuel that would be easily accessible to someone living in New York City that can get hot enough to work with iron or steel? I've looked at a couple of places that sell anthracite or other coals, but most of them are inaccessible to me (I don't own a car) and won't deliver small orders. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Best,
R

I second what Thomas said.

Go with gas if you can. If not, shop around for Royal Oak or Cowboy brand real charcoal.

Both burn clean and relatively smokeless, but the charcoal will put off some sparks.

I know that you will have difficulty setting up a solid fuel forge in New York City. Air quality boards do not like smoke of any kind if there is an alternative and that would be natural gas or propane. You might be able to get away with it for a time, but do you want to be able to forge without looking around the corner all the time for the inspector or fire dept to show up.

It may be easier for you to set up gas. If you aren't going to be doing a lot, then you probably could get by with charcoal (chunk, natural, hardwood and real are all descriptors for the fuel that is not formed briquettes). Especially if you have a pack of hot dogs on hand so if someone comes around you are just cooking. And hobbyist often get a pass on stuff that someone selling (even small volume to recoup the cost of the hobby) can't.

Do read up on the various safety precautions of the various set-ups.
Do look around for a local group - you may be able to find a close group that has open forge time. Try the ABANA site and look under affiliates.

You can expect a bag of natural charcoal to last no more than a day depending on the specifics of the forge (something to consider since you are car-less)

Ron

Thank you guys. You've all been really helpful. It should definitely be easier to get NG.

I spent some time looking at refractory mortar, ceramic blankets, and the like for a propane-run paint can forge and i'm wondering if there are cheaper or better options, as im on a students budget. do any of you know of a good design for a small, economical, propane forge?