I Forge Iron

Waterbury Screw Press

Cretedog

Looks great. I'm sure you will do good with it.
...just had a thought; what about a home building a power conversion to suit that adaptable looking flywheel? I've forgotten the best proper name for them, but they have been posted on IFI before.
regs,
Andrew.

I was sitting in my chair thinking the very same thing the other evening Andrew! Flat belts, gear motors, idler wheels... all sorts of possibilities. Then I remembered that my partner is much bigger and stronger than myself, and is in need of much more exercise, so I figured that he could 'walk the circle with his hand held high', and I'll deal with the iron and the tooling. :)

I have the same press, except it does not have the nice flywheel . The slower screw suits the way I work and provides a powerful stroke if needed or a light bump if desired. This press is a very old design . The catalogue says that it was a tool room press for making/testing dies. Look up Waterbury Farrell in Google books . This press is on page 39 of their catalogue. The press weighs 1700 pounds ( maybe more with your fly wheel) and is a beast to move because it is TOP HEAVY. But I guess that you know that. :) Be very cafeful

In my recent move I dissassembled it because it had to be moved up14 steps out of my basement . The area was not accessable to a small motor crane so I had to winch it up and onto my trailer. Geting it back together is another story. A chain hoist comes in real handy for eassembly/reassembly. I keep angle rails bolted to the press legs to make it easier to move the press around on pipe rollers. So far the press has never moved in use with the rails installed so they just live there perminently.

Based on my experience I believe that you will love your screw press .

post-14777-0-94793600-1323270171_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

The photographs below are tooling that I made up for my Waterbury Farrell Press. There are three sizes of tool holders. 1" dia. is the largest . The smallest was made to fit a standard size of pneumatic demo tool chisel which has a preformed shoulder ( .70" ).

One thing that you will probably have to deal with is that the dove-tailed work plate comes with the press is ( on mine at least ) hardened and is to hard to drill or file. Consequently I machined a second dedicated dovetail plate for mounting my tooling. After completing that task and getting the tooling installed I realized that an alternative would have been to drill mounting holes into the bottom of the press ram. This would have given a couple of additional inches of clearance if needed. In my case the additional clearance is not needed.

So far the tool shoulders are the only unresolved issue for my set-up. At least on the larger diameter tools I need to resolve some shoulder welding issues and complete fabrication of the tooling. The shoulders are needed to keep the tool from bottoming out in the tool holder and mushrooming. I plan for all of my tooling to be shouldered so the tooling holes are bored completely through the mounting plate to allow stuck tooling to knocked out from the bottom.

post-14777-0-81401800-1332277013_thumb.j

post-14777-0-95552700-1332277045_thumb.j

Haven't done a thing with mine this winter, Knots. Too much to do at the 'real' job, plus the usual other stuff we all have. Like your tooling examples. The socket and shoulder idea looks good. Gives me food for thought for next winter. You've also got my curiosity going now- don't think mine has the dovetailed work plate. Good excuse to run out to the blacksmith shop this afternoon and check. :)

Regards, JM