I Forge Iron

chain hold down tool

I realize it's not an original concept. but I was happy with the function of my new chain hold down.
I have two different hooks on the back side so the chain can hold straight across the anvil (and near the hardy hole) or diagonal across the main face allowing holding down either lengthwise or across the anvil face.
I used 3/8" rod, upset so a washer couldn't slide past the top. holding the spring in place.
I had been looking for uncoated chain for it, but came across some cheap stainless steel chain this weekend. :D

post-4928-0-51860800-1323055278_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry TLM, I don't follow how it works?

Is the spring supposed to hold down the chain over the anvil? or the foot pedal type thingy?

And if you hold it with the footpedal, what is the point of the spring as it looks to be a compression spring which will lift and slack off the chain releasing the grip (Gravity would do that without the need for a spring.)

If the spring was situated between the U of the bracket, then it would assist in clamping the workpiece to the anvil's face, allowing you to take you foot off the pedal to be able to move around the anvil to gain best forging position.

Or am I completely wrong in my interpretation?
Sorry to be a PIB

I forged the top jaw off a pipe wrench (found the jaw on the side of the road on the way to a SOFA meeting) to fit in the hardy hole of my anvil. Drilled a crosswise hole in the shaft and connected it to a spring with a hook and fastened the spring to the stump.

Then welded a T handle to the top of the jaw and had a lift-able holder in the hardy hole

Sorry TLM, I don't follow how it works?

Is the spring supposed to hold down the chain over the anvil? or the foot pedal type thingy?

And if you hold it with the footpedal, what is the point of the spring as it looks to be a compression spring which will lift and slack off the chain releasing the grip (Gravity would do that without the need for a spring.)

If the spring was situated between the U of the bracket, then it would assist in clamping the workpiece to the anvil's face, allowing you to take you foot off the pedal to be able to move around the anvil to gain best forging position.

Or am I completely wrong in my interpretation?
Sorry to be a PIB

I wanted it to be slack unless I stood on the pedal. Basically I got tired of chasing hot metal around the top of my anvil. The typical hold down I have slips sometimes. now when I stand on it I can lock down anything. was very handy for when punching a hammer eye alone the other day. the spring gives me automatic release when I take my foot off the pedal. Just a pedal would have worked, but the spring gives more range of motion without fussing so much before hand with the chain length.

I forged the top jaw off a pipe wrench (found the jaw on the side of the road on the way to a SOFA meeting) to fit in the hardy hole of my anvil. Drilled a crosswise hole in the shaft and connected it to a spring with a hook and fastened the spring to the stump. Then welded a T handle to the top of the jaw and had a lift-able holder in the hardy hole

Sounds like a great find, i am always on the look out going down the road.
I thought of trying something like that as well, but decided I really needed my hardy open when punching eyes out. I think it would be a great and easy idea for smaller items though.

I wanted it to be slack unless I stood on the pedal. Basically I got tired of chasing hot metal around the top of my anvil. The typical hold down I have slips sometimes. now when I stand on it I can lock down anything. was very handy for when punching a hammer eye alone the other day. the spring gives me automatic release when I take my foot off the pedal. Just a pedal would have worked, but the spring gives more range of motion without fussing so much before hand with the chain length.

Thanks for your explanation, I see where you are coming from and it works for you. That's what it's all about.