I Forge Iron

Hello from Arizona, and my first question

azxd

I am a new member and this is obviously my first post.

So Hello from Arizona.

I'm very curious about the method used to achieve such consistent color, and great color in the copper roses as shown in this example - http://www.iforgeiro...p/#comment_4538

I tried to ask the creator, but received a message that he is not capable of receiving a PM.

Can anyone offer any advise about color consistency in copper ?

I'm not new to metal work, but am new to the artistic side of fabrication, and am currently in the process of collecting things so I can build my first forge.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Hi Azxd! Welcome! To get color simular to that. I soak mine in muratic acid to remove the mill scale then spray on copper sufate. I have not seen that photo before but to me it looks like they could be made out of real copper then heated with a torch to get the color, then clear coated.

Where in AZ are you located? Are you a member of the AABA? If not you should check us out. Good luck!

Hi Azxd! Welcome! To get color simular to that. I soak mine in muratic acid to remove the mill scale then spray on copper sufate. I have not seen that photo before but to me it looks like they could be made out of real copper then heated with a torch to get the color, then clear coated.

Where in AZ are you located? Are you a member of the AABA? If not you should check us out. Good luck!

Nope not a member of AABA, but might become one in the future, and ... I'm in the Phoenix area.

I figured it was real copper that had been heated, but the color is so even, and into the red scale, that I figure I just had to ask ... There is a small temperature range that will produce that color, and I really want to learn what it takes to achieve it.

Thanks for the welcome.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! The roses you linked are mine and thanks for the dudos. They are made from 16oz. copper, the same weight that is used for roof gutters, flashing, and other roof elements. Yes, the color is achieved from heat, I will get a long flame, just out of the carborizing flame, and hold the rose approx 12" away and 'brush' the rose with the flame. As you mentioned, the colors come quick and will go just as quick. DO NOT spray with a clear coat of any kind as that will literally wipe the colors off, the instant the spray hits the copper the colors are gone! wax will do the same. The colors are a surface oxidation and only microscopic in depth. I have found that i get better color by wire brushing the copper to a bright copper finish, assemble the rose and pose the petals then 'color' with the torch. The muratic acid cleaning works OK but the colors are not as brilliant. Hope this helps.

BTW, I don't know why I can't receive PMs, I will check into that also.

Thank you Thomas !!! I've only ever tried such with a torch, but when I get the forge put together, I'll have to do some experimenting until I figure it out. The wire brushing technique makes sense.

I make only stem for the rose in the forge, the petals are cut with the band saw, textured, assemb., posed, then colored with a torch. I also will place a piece of felt in the center of the rose and place a couple of drops of "rose oil" in and it smells like a real rose. I get more "How did you do that?!!?" for the smell then from actually making the rose!

Azdx There is a open forge at Grizzly Iron in PHX this weekend. You should Check it out.
Thanks for the reminder, I had read about that and totally forgot ... I will ... Oh darn, I committed to Judge a Constitutional debate for a bunch of high school students.
Ehh, perhaps the next one.

I make only stem for the rose in the forge, the petals are cut with the band saw, textured, assemb., posed, then colored with a torch. I also will place a piece of felt in the center of the rose and place a couple of drops of "rose oil" in and it smells like a real rose. I get more "How did you do that?!!?" for the smell then from actually making the rose!

Sounds pretty simple, but there is obviously an artistic side to everything.
I've got some thin copper sheet, and have cut out the basic shapes that are described on the Internet.
I'll embarrass myself, for sure, as I develop proper techniques ... But I'm willing to learn.

Truth be told, I want to make a few for my wife.
The felt is a great idea B)

And thanks again for sharing this information.