I Forge Iron

Screw box removal

Elemental Metal Creations

The box will have a lengthwise "key" (or two) integral with the box that fits into a keyway at the top or bottom of the fixed leg hole. It keeps the box from turning around. When the screw is removed from the box, the box simply slips out. If it's sticking, use Blaster or WD 40, and tap it out with a rawhide or wooden mallet.

Sometimes "replacement" screws/screwboxes have been used or someone has tightened one that was not in correct orientation and driven the keys into the vise body making them harder to remove. What I would do is to take it and remove the moving jaw and screw and place the stable jaw and screwbox in my screw press and place a piece of lead or wood on to the open end of the screwbox and see if I could push it out with the screw press. Long soaks with penetrating oil can help as sometimes things are just rusted together. The "weekender" is a good method: Soak the piece with penetrating oil one Saturday and tap on it gently adding more oil every day of the ensuing week then try to remove the following Saturday. If still no go; repeat. If after a number of times it still won't move heat may be required.