I Forge Iron

Whats a good brand of Propane forge?

Hayden H

I'm looking to buy a propane forge to get around the burn-ban fire restrictions. Whats a good brand? I like the Diamondback Ironworks forge, its also reasonably priced. I'll being doing knife and spur making as well as any other odd thing I want to forge on. So, what'd be a good brand, and at a reasonable cost?

So, do you want to dink around with building it for a few hours/days/weeks, or put it to work immediately? If you have work to do and the forge is just a means to an end, then take look at the range of commercial units from a reputable farrier supply. They even have customer service folks that you can talk to.

I use a diamondback iron works 3 burner forge. I have used it for about 3 years and have had good results. I have had to reline it but that is a easy thing just $80 bucks for a complete reline kit. It heat fast and gets hotter then i need. My case top is starting to warp but I plan on putting 1/4 plate top on it when I reline it next time

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Diamondback Two Burner last summer but didn't fire it up but once because it was way to hot here in Central Texas! I have since ran about a half of a bottle through it. I am completely new at this but it has done all I need it to do. I played around with forge welding some 1/2" cable and it worked well. No complaints so far.

Jamie

I own a Diamondback two burner Blacksmith Model. I am very very happy with it. It gets the job done and I can get welding heat at 10 psi. I have only welded once with it though. It is very simple to set up. I have used it in very cold temps and it holds up very well. I have yet to need a relining kit and I've been using it over two years. Personally I couldn't be happier. It gets the job done. I would recomend getting one.

• 11 months later...

I bought a two-burner Diamondback two years ago and it's never failed me. This morning, I took off the shell, slathered the inside with new Sairset and replaced the thin firebrick floor. I figure it's good for another two years or more. Only thing is I go through a LOT of propane. I haven't installed the idler control that came with the forge. I'm sure it would cut down on my fuel.

• 1 month later...
The products and the people at Chili Forge are all top notch. I have a 2-burner model from them, gets hot!
Hi there. Just starting to get into knife making myself. I want to buy the burners from Chile forges, but build the forge myself, due to the fact I live in Thailand and shipping is equal to the cost of the forge, I was looking at building 2 burner model myself, due the burners actually screw into the body of the forge. Thanks for your help. Shaun